Looking for a festive holiday drink that will be fun for the whole family? Try this candy cane mocktail and your little guests won't be disappointed.
- 100% cranberry juice
- Strawberry simple syrup
- Cranberry Sprite
- Sparkling mineral water
- Angostura bitters
How to Make
Start by gathering the ingredients for the strawberry simple syrup.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, stirring constantly over medium high heat. Reduce the heat and add the strawberries and vanilla extract, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to infuse for two hours.
- While the syrup is infusing, garnish the drink. Dip the rim in lemon juice, then in colored sugar.
3. To build this in the glass, start off with the cranberry juice, strawberry simple syrup, and the grenadine. Pour in the cranberry Sprite and the sparkling mineral water, then top it off with the Angostura bitters.
4. Gently stir with a long handled spoon.
5. Garnish will a mini candy cane.
6. Enjoy this candy cane mocktail right away. It's sure to be a hit!
What kind of sugar do you use to rim a glass?
- Plain white granulated sugar
- Caster sugar
- Sanding sugar (coarse crystals)
- Demerara sugar
How do you make colored sugar for glass rims?
- Food processor: add drops of food coloring to the granulated sugar. Pulse until well mixed.
- In a plastic bag: add sugar and a few drops of food coloring. Seal bag and shake.
- In a jar: add sugar and a few drops of food coloring. Tighten lid. Shake.
- On a plate: add sugar and a few drops of food coloring. Rub between your hands.
How many calories are in one serving?
For one 8 fl. oz. serving, there are 166 calories and 40.9g of carbs. This recipe is also high in vitamin C. For more nutritional information, scroll past the recipe card.
- Make the strawberry simple syrup up to two weeks ahead of time and store in fridge.
- Decorate the rims of the glasses at one time. You can do this up to two hours in advance.
- Mix up a pitcher full of the drink and chill it in the fridge. Add the sparkling mineral water and Sprite just before serving.
- Quadruple the recipe and serve it in a punch bowl for your next holiday party.
More Mocktail Recipes You'll Love
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook for more crave-worthy recipes!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Candy Cane Mocktail
For the Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup strawberries, hulled and sliced (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Rim & Garnish
- ⅓ cup concentrated lemon juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- few drops of red food coloring
- 4 mini candy canes, one for each glass
For the Drink
- 1 cup 100% cranberry juice, chilled
- 1 cup strawberry simple syrup, chilled
- 1 cup sparkling water, chilled
- 1 ⅓ cup cranberry Sprite, chilled
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons grenadine, 4
- 1 teaspoon Angostura bitters
Making the Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Pour the sugar and water into a small saucepan set over medium heat, stirring constantly until it is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the strawberries and the vanilla. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Let the strawberries infuse in the simple syrup for a minimum of 2 hours to achieve maximum flavor, then strain out the strawberries and pour the syrup into an airtight mason jar. It can keep in the fridge for two weeks.
Decorating the Rim
- Pour the lemon juice and sugar into two separate, shallow bowls. Add a few drops of red food coloring to the sugar and mix it together by rubbing the sugar between your hands.
- Dip the rim of the glass in the lemon juice, then swirl it in the colored sugar.
Making the Drink
- Mix the cranberry juice, strawberry simple syrup, sparkling water, cranberry Sprite, grenadine, and Angostura bitters in a large pitcher. Pour into the prepared glasses and garnish with a mini candy cane. Serve cold.
- For an individual serving, pour ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon cranberry juice, ¼ cup strawberry simple syrup, ⅓ cup cranberry Sprite, ¼ cup sparkling water, 2 teaspoons Grenadine, and ⅛ teaspoon Angostura bitters into a glass. Stir until blended. Garnish with a mini candy cane. Serve cold.
- Up to two weeks ahead of time make the strawberry simple syrup and store in fridge.
- Up to two hours ahead of time, decorate the rims of the glasses at one time.
- Need a larger batch? Mix up a pitcher full, but leave out the bubbly ingredients then chill it in the fridge. Just before serving add the sparkling water and the Sprite.
- Need this in a punch bowl? Quadruple the recipe for your next holiday party.
Serving sizes and nutritional information are only an estimate and may vary from your results.
This is festive and cheery with it's red shine. This is interesting because it contains strawberries 🍓 and cranberries.
Yes, the combination of strawberries and cranberries is really nice. I'm glad that you enjoyed this drink, Beth!