If you love the taste of ginger, you'll want to make this ginger beer mocktail. It's quick, healthy, and perfect to serve at your next party.
Why This Recipe Works
- No fancy equipment needed: just pour and stir.
- This recipe is easy to scale: make one glass or a whole pitcher full.
- This quick and easy recipe is fun to make and is perfect for a party.
- This ginger beer mocktail has a sophisticated flavor thanks to the earthy spiciness of the ginger beer.
Curious what ingredients you need to make this ginger beer mocktail? You won't need a ton to get started!
- Sweetener: We used maple syrup and simple syrup.
- Fruit juice: We used orange juice and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Ginger beer: We used 1 cup of ginger beer. Brands we like are Cock n Bull and Fever Tree. If you need to substitute for ginger ale, use the brand Fever Tree.
- Bitters: We used ¼ teaspoon of Angostura orange bitters, but you can also use the plain bitters.
- Other: To rim the glasses, we used sugar and cinnamon and a lime wheel.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to Make
Start by gathering and prepping all the ingredients. Squeeze the lime juice and mix the sugar and cinnamon together to rim the glasses.
- To decorate the rim, dip the glass in water first, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Carefully pour in the maple syrup, orange juice, simple syrup, lime juice, and orange bitters.
- Stir the ingredients until they're well combined.
- Stir, then pour in the carbonated drink.
- Slowly stir everything together.
- Add the finishing touch: a lime wheel on the rim of the glass.
Ginger beer is stronger tasting and spicier than ginger ale and has less carbonation. It is brewed and fermented, but is nonalcoholic. Ginger beer has a more gingery flavor, and is made with fresh ginger root, sugar, and yeast.
Yes, it is healthier compared to other carbonated drinks. It's also a popular way to consume more ginger.
Ginger beer contains ginger root, which soothes an upset stomach, and can also help reduce nausea.
Yes, it can be good for a sore throat. Make sure that it is chilled and has natural ginger as an ingredient.
If you are interested in other mocktails to serve your guests, you'll want to try our popular frozen virgin margarita, hurricane mocktail, Cinderella mocktail, Canadian Caesar mocktail, and our sunrise mocktail.
- Make Ahead: You can make the simple syrup and most of the drink the night before. Add the ginger beer just before serving.
- Leftovers: If you make a big batch for 8 servings, see notes in recipe card, and have leftovers, store covered in the fridge for up to one day.
- Freeze: If you want to freeze the ingredients, you can have a variation of this beverage and turn it into a slushie.
- Don't substitute ginger ale. It will reduce the sharp flavor of the ginger significantly.
- Does it taste too strong? Add more orange juice.
- Want to use a cocktail shaker? Put all the ingredients in, except the carbonated drink. Shake, then strain into glass.
- Want to make it ahead for a party? Put all the ingredients, except the carbonated drink in a pitcher. See notes for increased quantities.
Other Mocktails You'll Love
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Ginger Beer Mocktail
For an Individual Drink
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup orange juice, chilled
- 4 tablespoons simple syrup, chilled
- ¼ teaspoon Angostura orange bitters
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup Cock 'n Bull ginger beer, chilled
For the Rim & Garnish
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lime wheel per glass, for garnish
- To rim the glasses, start by pouring the water into a small bowl. In another bowl, mix together the white sugar and cinnamon. Dip the rim of the glass in the water, then twirl it in the sugar mixture.
- To build the drink in the glass, carefully pour in all the ingredients except the carbonated drink. Stir then top off with the ginger beer. Gently stir.
- To make the drink in a pitcher, stir together all the ingredients except the carbonated drink, and refrigerate until ready to serve. To assemble, fill each glass half full with the juice mixture, then top it off with ginger beer and gently stir.
- Garnish each glass with a lime wheel and enjoy immediately.
- To make this for 8 people, use 1.5 cup maple syrup, 2.5 cups orange juice, 2 cups simple syrup, 2 teaspoons Angostura orange bitters, 1.5 cup lime juice, and 8 cups of ginger beer.
- To make the simple syrup, 1 cup each of granulated sugar and water to a small pot. (If you are making this for 8 people, double this amount.) Stir over medium high heat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into a container and cool in the freezer for 10 minutes before using. Any leftovers can be stored in a mason jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- To make this for a small child, add more orange juice to their glass to reduce the spiciness.
Serving sizes and nutritional information are only an estimate and may vary from your results.