With hot summer days almost upon us, the quest for cold, refreshing drinks is in earnest. Sometimes, that blazing summer heat makes you and I want to chill with a frozen virgin strawberry daiquiri in hand. Few things taste so sweet as a cold drink on a scorching day!
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What I especially love about this virgin strawberry daiquiri is that it's so thick and mildly sweet, with a refreshing flavor and tartness from the freshly squeezed lime juice. Plus, there's a hint of rum extract to provide another depth of flavor.
What goes in a strawberry daiquiri?
- Fresh and/or frozen strawberries
- Lime juice
- Simple syrup
- Rum extract for non-alcoholic daiquiris
- Ice (optional)
Is this drink gluten free?
Yes, it is gluten free because it doesn't contain wheat flour.
How many calories?
The exact nutrition facts for this non alcoholic daiquiri will vary depending on the ingredients you use. Each 12 fl oz daiquiri should be about 242 calories. Check the bottom of the recipe card below for additional nutrition facts.
How do you make it?
The best way is to use frozen strawberries instead of ice. If you simply added ice, it would dilute the flavor, which wouldn't be ideal. Using frozen berries instead gives the drink a thick texture and ups the flavor.
Here's some tips for making a frozen daiquiri in a blender:
- Use a powerful blender. The weaker motors of old blenders can't handle large amounts of frozen fruit at once.
- Blend all the other ingredients before adding the frozen strawberries. This ensures an even mix.
- Add the frozen strawberries in two or three additions, depending on the power of your blender.
- Start blending on low speed, then turn to high. If you go to high immediately, it could damage the blender blades.
- Blend just long enough to mix the ingredients. Blending for too long will chop up the ice crystals, making the drink more runny.
How do you keep daiquiris frozen?
- Pour the daiquiri into the desired glasses and place in the freezer.
- A couple minutes before you serve the daiquiris, take them out and use a fork to break up the daiquiri.
- If they're frozen really hard, wait 10 minutes or so and try again.
How to Hull Fresh Strawberries
Nobody likes that woody piece of stem, called a calyx, that's at the top of each berry. Fortunately, there's an easy way to remove it with a sharp paring knife.
- Step 1: Rinse the strawberries.
- Step 2: Insert a sharp paring knife in the white part at the top of the strawberry.
- Step 3: Keep the knife at the same angle and turn the strawberry to cut out the stem and leaves. Now you have a perfectly hulled berry!
How to Make
Gather the ingredients you need: frozen strawberries, fresh strawberries, freshly squeezed lime juice, simple syrup, and rum extract.
Puree the fresh strawberries, then mix in the lime juice, simple syrup, and rum extract.
Blend in the frozen strawberries, then taste and adjust the lime juice, rum extract, or simple syrup if desired.
Pour the daiquiri into 12-ounce hurricane glasses and garnish with a slice of lime and strawberry. Enjoy while it's frozen!
- Use fresh and frozen strawberries for the best combination of flavor and texture.
- Don't let the frozen berries defrost, or the drink won't be as thick and icy.
- Make your own simple syrup. Dissolve 1 cup of sugar (200g) and 1 cup of water (236 ml) in a saucepan set over medium-high heat. Chill before using. It will keep for 1 week in the fridge.
- Squeeze your own lime juice. The bottled kind doesn't taste as good.
- Microwave the limes briefly to soften them before juicing them.
- Make this ahead by pouring the drink into freezer-safe container. Let it thaw for 30-45 minutes, stir until slushy, then serve.
Other Non-Alcoholic Drinks You'll Love
- Virgin Raspberry Daiquiri
- Virgin Mango Daiquiri
- Virgin Peach Daiquiri
- Non Alcoholic Piña Colada
- Hurricane Mocktail
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated.
The Best Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri You'll Ever Taste
- 4 cups frozen strawberries, 470g
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup simple syrup, chilled
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 1 fresh lime, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Rinse, hull, and slice the strawberries until you have 1 cup (136g). Squeeze the fresh lime juice and slice a fresh lime for the garnish.
- Pull out the frozen strawberries from the freezer and let them thaw just for a minute or two.
- Place the fresh strawberries, simple syrup, lime juice, and rum extract in a blender and blend until very smooth, then gradually blend in the frozen strawberries until no chunks remain.
- Pour the daiquiri into hurricane glasses and garnish the rims with fresh lime and strawberry slices. Serve immediately.
- Use fresh and frozen strawberries for the best flavor and texture.
- Adjust the amount of simple syrup, lime juice, and rum extract to taste. You might need to add more simple syrup if the berries aren't as sweet.
- Make your own simple syrup by dissolving 1 cup of sugar in 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Chill in the fridge until cool. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Squeeze your own lime juice with a citrus press for the best flavor. Warm the limes in the microwave to help them yield the most juice.
- Make the drink ahead of time and freeze it. Take it out of the freezer about 30-45 minutes ahead of time and break it up with a fork until slushy, then serve.
This recipe was originally published on May 15, 2018.