We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Sit back and relax while sipping on this hurricane mocktail, and you’ll feel like you’re in New Orleans. It’s a sweet fruity tropical drink that is as much fun to make as it is to drink.
👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What is a hurricane mocktail?
This popular fruity drink is red in color, garnished with a maraschino cherry and an orange slice, and is traditionally served in a hurricane glass.
What is the history behind this beverage?
The traditional hurricane drink is credited to Pat O’Brien in New Orleans, who invented it during WWII. He wanted to do a twist on a daiquiri to use up surplus ingredients, and he even gave the drink away to his younger patrons! It eventually caught on and now has became very popular, especially during Mardi Gras.
How did this drink get it’s name?
There seems to be two theories out there. One is that it’s named after the tall, curvy glass it’s served in, and the other is that the password to get into Pat O’Brien’s New Orleans establishment was “Storm’s brewin’.”
What does this taste like?
This mocktail has a fruity taste, thanks to the passion fruit, orange, pineapple and lime juice. Plus, it’s sweet due to the simple syrup and the grenadine. Overall, this drink tastes like the tropics and is very pleasant and refreshing.
How many calories are in this beverage?
A 12 ounce glass contains 252 calories and 64 g of carbs. Plus, it meets more than 60% of your daily requirement for vitamin C, thanks to the orange and pineapple juice.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you most certainly can. Mix everything in a pitcher, but hold off on pouring in the Sprite until you’re ready to serve it. Prep the garnishes by getting the oranges sliced and the cherries on the bamboo stirrers.
How should I serve this?
For a large party, have the guests serve themselves by providing the cold fruit juice mixture, Sprite, crushed ice, and the garnishes.
For a small gathering, set out the glassware and cold ingredients, then mix the drinks at one time and serve immediately.
How should I store leftovers?
Any leftover fruit juice mix and Sprite should be covered and stored in the fridge. It should keep for a couple of days.
Can you freeze leftover base mix?
Yes. Make sure you are pouring the juice mix into a freezer safe container with a fitted lid. It will take several hours for it to freeze. When ready to use let it sit out on the counter so it can soften enough for it to be spooned into glasses and topped off with the Sprite.
The photo below shows what a frozen one looks like. The one in the photo was made with ice instead of the frozen juice mix.
What kind of substitutions can I make?
- Can’t find passion fruit juice? Use passion fruit syrup, V8 tropical blend, or Hawaiian punch.
- Don’t want to use lime juice? Try using freshly squeezed lemon juice instead.
- Want to serve a frozen version? Freeze the base mix for 8 hours or overnight. Break up the slush with a fork, put into a glass, and top with Sprite.
How to Make a Hurricane Mocktail
Want to see step by step photos? Scroll down to the recipe card.
- Gather all the ingredients. Pour the juices. Make the simple syrup, let it cool in the freezer for 15 minutes, then juice the limes.
- Make the simple syrup. Mix together 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour all the ingredients into a large pitcher, but leave out the Sprite. Cover and place in the fridge to chill.
- Prep the garnishes by slicing the navel oranges. Take the stems off the maraschino cherries, and put three on each bamboo pick.
- When ready to serve, spoon in the crushed ice, pour the base mixture until 3/4 full then top off with Sprite. Serve immediately while it’s cold.
- The ratios for this drink is 2:1:1 for passion fruit, orange and pineapple then 1/2:1/2:1/2 for lime juice, simple syrup, and grenadine.
- Can’t have red dye? Make your own grenadine with 100% pomegranate juice, sugar, and rose water.
- Want it to taste a little like rum? Add a bit of rum extract.
- Don’t like your drink diluted? Make extra juice mix and freeze it in ice cube trays. Use that instead of ice in the drinks.
- Want to decorate the rim? Dip the rim in water, then in white sugar.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools for This Recipe
- Passion Fruit Syrup: this is a delicious alternative to passion fruit juice.
- Hurricane Glasses: these beautiful glasses are what we used for the photos.
- Bamboo Sword Picks: these sturdy picks are perfect for holding garnishes.
- Rose’s Grenadine: this is a yummy and affordable brand of grenadine.
Craving other non-alcoholic drinks? You’ll want to check out these recipes.
- Peach Daiquiri: this frothy, creamy daq blends fresh peaches and lemon juice.
- Strawberry Daiquiri: this tangy blend of strawberries and lime is refreshing!
- Mango Daiquiri: tropical mango and lime make this drink absolutely delicious.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.Print
A hurricane mocktail is an easy recipe to make for a crowd in a pitcher. Learn how to make this popular Mardis Gras drink for parties the classic way, and also as a frozen slushie. It’s simple, fun, fruity, and refreshing.
For a Pitcher
- 3 cups Welch’s passionfruit juice (710 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice (355 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice (355 ml)
- 3/4 cups freshly squeezed lime juice, about 8 medium limes (175 ml)
- 3/4 cup simple syrup (175 ml)
- 3/4 cup grenadine (175 ml)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (5 ml)
- Chilled lemon-lime soda, such as Sprite
- Crushed ice, for each glass
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 8 orange slices, from 2 navel oranges
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Combine all the drink ingredients except the Sprite in a large pitcher. Cover and refrigerate the pitcher if you’re making this ahead.
- When ready to serve, place crushed ice in each glass, then fill each hurricane glass 3/4 full. Fill the glass with Sprite, then gently stir. Garnish with a pick of 3 maraschino cherries and an orange slice. Serve cold.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make a hurricane drink, passionfruit punch recipe