Are you looking for an easy salad that is sure to please? Try our marinated tomato olive salad recipe. It's simple to make and brings the taste of the Mediterranean to your dinner table.
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Tomatoes: Use fresh roma, grape, or cherry tomatoes in red, yellow, or orange.
- Olives: Use kalamata, black, Spanish, or pimento stuffed green olives.
- Onions: Use spring onion, scallions, or red onion.
- Bell Pepper: Use red, yellow, or orange.
- Dressing: Make your own with olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and spices.
How many calories are in one serving?
For a serving size of ⅓ cup, there are 78 calories. This serving size has 2.9g carbs and is high in vitamin C.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you most certainly can. Since this recipe is marinated, it should be made 1 to 4 hours ahead of time. If you need to make it the night before, just add the tomatoes an hour or two ahead of time. If you add the tomatoes too soon, they will get mushy.
How long does this keep in the fridge?
This recipe is best if consumed within 24 hours. If you need to keep it longer, remove the tomatoes and place in a separate bowl. The tomatoes are more delicate than the other ingredients and can spoil sooner.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Unfortunately, you can't. If you have leftovers, try to eat them up within a day or two of making it. One idea to eat up leftovers is to serve it over buttered penne noodles.
What goes with this recipe?
- Wedges of pita bread
- Homemade pizza
- Cooked penne noodles
- Fresh arugula
How to Make
Gather all the ingredients. Cut the tomatoes and olives in half lengthwise. Chop the green onion and red bell pepper, then measure out the dressing ingredients.
Place the grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, and the pimento stuffed green olives in a large mixing bowl.
Next, add the chopped red bell pepper, the sliced green onion, and the capers.
Pour in the olive oil, then add the sherry vinegar, sugar, and spices.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together until combined.
Pour on the dressing.
Toss until well coated with two large spoons. Cover with an airtight lid or plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour. This will give the tomatoes time to marinate in the dressing.
When ready to serve, stir and garnish with a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Want to add cheese? Try mozzarella pearls, feta, or shaved parmesan.
- Want to add nuts? Try toasted pine nuts.
- Want to fresh herbs? Try basil, oregano, or parsley.
- Want other onions? Try scallions or thinly sliced red onions.
- Want greens? Serve this overr arugula or Romaine leaves.
- Want other vegetables? Try cucumbers, zucchini, avocados, asparagus, or artichokes.
- Want a different vinegar? Try white balsamic or red wine vinegar.
- Need to make this the night before? Leave out the tomatoes until a couple of hours before serving.
- Want the best flavor? Let it chill for at least one hour in the fridge for the flavors to mingle.
- Can't have tomato seeds? Use Roma tomatoes and scoop out the seeds.
- Bamboo Cutting Board: this large board has a juice groove and lots of room to cut and slice.
- Cuisinart Knife Set: this economical and versatile knife set has been our go-to for years.
- Set of 3 Whisks: these sturdy stainless steel whisks are perfect for whipping up salad dressings.
- Set of 6 Prep Bowls: we love using these simple glass bowls to hold prepped ingredients.
- Sherry Vinegar: this type of vinegar has a delicate flavor, which adds a good taste to this salad.
Looking for other healthy salad recipes? Take a look at these delicious recipes.
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Marinated Tomato Olive Salad Recipe
- Rinse and cut in half the tomatoes, green olives, and Kalamata olives. Rinse and finely chop the green onion and red pepper.
- Stir together the tomatoes, olives, onion, pepper, and capers until well mixed.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, oregano, salt, and pepper to make the vinaigrette. Pour it over the ingredients and toss gently.
- Chill for at least one hour. Serve cold.
- Leave out the tomatoes until a couple of hours before serving if you are making the night before.
- Let it chill for at least one hour in the fridge for the flavors to mingle for the best flavor.
- Use Roma tomatoes and scoop out the seeds if you can't eat tomato seeds.
This recipe was originally published on November 14, 2017.