Are you craving Chick-fil-A's coleslaw and are upset they removed it from their menu? Cheer up! We've got their original recipe, and in under 20 minutes, you'll have their famous slaw chilling in your fridge as you prepare the rest of your meal.
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
Chick-fil-A had coleslaw as a side item on their menu since 1967, a whopping 49 years, and used only seven pantry staple ingredients to make their famous slaw. Here's how they describe this salad, "cabbage and carrot blend finely chopped mixed with a creamy dressing." Here's what they used:
- Vegetables: green cabbage and carrots
- Spices: kosher salt and dry mustard
- Sweetener: white granulated sugar
- Fat: good quality mayonnaise
How to Make
Gather all the ingredients. Measure out the vinegar, sugar, spices, and mayo, then finely chop the matchstick carrots.
- In a bowl, pour in the vinegar, sugar, and spices, and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Next, add the mayo. You'll probably need a small spatula to scrape the mayo out of the measuring cup or bowl. Whisk the dressing until it's smooth, then set aside.
3. On a large cutting board, chop the cabbage into very fine pieces with a chef's knife. Do this in three batches. Add the cabbage to a large bowl.
4. Chop the julienned carrots until they are in very small pieces.
5. Stir the cabbage and carrots together until combined.
6. Pour in the dressing, and use a spatula to scrape it all out of the bowl.
7. Mix until all the cabbage is coated with the dressing.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of two hours or overnight, then enjoy with your favorite chicken sandwich or pulled pork sandwich.
When did Chick-fil-A remove the coleslaw from their menu?
The coleslaw was removed on January 18, 2016 and was replaced with the superfood salad. CFA announced their plans to the public a month earlier in December 2015. If you are a die hard fan and are in the Atlanta area, The Dwarf House restaurants will continue to serve this as part of their expanded menu.
Why did Chick-fil-A post the original recipe?
After the announcement to remove the coleslaw from the menu "to add variety," their customers were writing them asking to bring it back. As a result, they released the original recipe on their website in December, 2015.
What does the coleslaw taste like?
It has a mild, sugary taste and the mayo makes it creamy. The cabbage and carrots are on the softer side since they are finely chopped, and with the two hour chill time, the dressing softens them.
How many calories are in this coleslaw?
For a ½ cup (96g) serving size, there are 245 calories,10.8g of carbs, 24g of fat and 1g of protein. For more nutritional information, scroll to the end of the recipe card.
Is Chick fil-A's coleslaw gluten free?
Yes, it sure is, so feel free to make up a batch for you and your family to enjoy.
How can I make this coleslaw for 50 people?
You'll need to multiply the original recipe by 7, so you'll need: 9 tablespoons of white vinegar, 1 ¾ cups of white granulated sugar, 1 ¾ teaspoons dry mustard, 1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt, 7 cups of mayo, 14 (10 ounce bags) of shredded cabbage, and 1 ¾ cups of carrots. This will make 26 ¼ cups of coleslaw.
- Like your slaw with more bite? Add some de-flamed yellow onion.
- Like it more crunchy? Don't chop the cabbage and carrots as small.
- Like it less sweet? Add less white granulated sugar.
- Don't want to use white vinegar? Use apple cider vinegar for a different taste.
- Want more color? Add red cabbage and flat leaf parsley.
- To save some time, start with finely shredded green cabbage, then chop it to ⅛ of an inch.
- Buy matchstick carrots, then finely chop them.
- Use a good quality mayo like Duke's, which has a bit of a lemon flavor.
- Give this coleslaw time to chill.
More Chick-fil-A Copycat Recipes You'll Love
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Copycat Chick-fil-A Coleslaw
For the Dressing
For the Slaw
- 2 10 oz bags shredded cabbage, finely chopped
- ¼ cup julienned carrots, finely chopped
Making the Dressing
- To make the dressing, whisk the first four ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the mayo and continue whisking, then set aside.
Making the Slaw
- Chop the cabbage into very small pieces in three batches, then place it in a large bowl.
- Mix in the finely chopped carrots.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables, then stir the mixture with a spatula until all the veggies are well coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours so it can chill and the flavors can meld.
- Chop the finely shredded green cabbage to ⅛ of an inch.
- Start with matchstick carrots.
- If you can't find Duke's mayo, add a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice to the dressing.
- Allow 2 hours for chill time.