Craving Chick-fil-A's newest drink--the mocha cream cold brew--but you can't get to the restaurant? This chocolatey drink will give you a caffeine boost with lots of cocoa goodness. Grab a few ingredients and let's mix one up!
Fortunately, this drink takes only five basic ingredients: heavy cream, chocolate syrup, cold brew coffee, sugar, and ice. Make sure each ingredient is good quality for the best results.
- Cream: I use heavy whipping cream for the most luxurious taste.
- Chocolate Syrup: Ghirardelli chocolate sauce (affiliate) is my go-to! It's creamy and chocolatey without being too rich.
- Cold Brew: I always make my own cold brew with Starbucks Pike Place roast. See the "Pro Tips" section of this post or the recipe notes to learn how to make your own.
- Sugar: this is totally optional. My Mom likes having the sugar in here to disguise any hint of bitterness from the coffee, but I like it better without the sugar.
- Ice: crushed is best. Chick-fil-A uses round ice known as "chewy ice," which is hard to replicate at home, so this is the next best thing.
What is a mocha cream cold brew?
Think of this drink as a take on chocolate milk. It has a very subtle coffee flavor and a rich, creamy taste and lots of sweetness. (Feel free to omit the added sugar and increase the coffee if you don't like sweet drinks.) It's Chick-fil-A's newest drink as of September 2020.
What kind of coffee do you use?
This recipe calls for cold brew, which is coffee made with cold water and brewed in the fridge instead of with hot water. You can buy ready-made cold brew, or you can make your own, which is quite simple to do.
Make your own cold brew by coarsely grinding 6 ounces (170g) of coffee beans and mixing it with 6 cups (1.4 liters) of cold water. (I prefer to use a medium-roast coffee, as dark roast can make it too bitter.) Cover the coffee and let it brew for 20 hours in the fridge, then strain out the grounds. The cold brew will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How many calories are in this drink?
This mocha cream cold brew is definitely more on the indulgent side! It contains 523 calories for a 6-ounce serving. By comparison, the Chick-fil-A version contains 370 calories for a large, but it has 6 ounces of chewy ice added.
Keep in mind that this drink largely consists of heavy cream and chocolate sauce, both of which are high-calorie ingredients. Making this drink with whole milk instead of cream lowers the calories to 193 for 6 fl oz and lowers the fat to only 5g per serving. See the "Variations" section after the how to photos for ideas on lowering the calories.
What's the price at CFA?
As of September 2020, the prices for this drink are $3.29 for a large, and $2.89 for a small.
When was the mocha cream cold brew released?
This delicious treat was first released at Chick-fil-A on September 14, 2020. It's a seasonal addition to the CFA fall menu, and will be taken off the menu on November 14, 2020 to make room for the Christmas drinks.
How to Make
Start with heavy cream, chocolate syrup, cold brew coffee, sugar, and crushed ice.
Pour the chocolate syrup into an 8-ounce glass.
Add the cream and sugar and stir until the chocolate syrup has dissolved. If it's taking a while, you can microwave the drink for 20 seconds and stir again.
If you'd like to add sugar, now is the time to do so.
Mix in the cold brew coffee.
Fill the glass the rest of the way with crushed ice and garnish with a paper straw.
Enjoy immediately with your family and friends!
- Caramel: substitute half of the chocolate sauce with caramel sauce instead.
- Reduced Fat: use whole milk instead of the heavy cream.
- Dairy Free: use almond or coconut milk instead of the cream.
- Vegan: use a plant-based milk and vegan chocolate sauce (affiliate).
- Need to make the cold brew? Coarsely grind 6 ounces (170g) of medium roast coffee beans and mix them with 6 cups (1.4 liters) of cold water. Cover and refrigerate for 20 hours, then strain out the grounds and reserve the coffee. Cold brew will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Ran out of chocolate syrup? Make a substitute of chocolate ganache. Heat ½ cup of heavy cream in a saucepan until it's just barely simmering, then remove it from the heat and whisk in 3 ounces (85g) of dark chocolate chips until smooth. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Want to make this ahead? Feel free to assemble the drink in advance and refrigerate it until ready to serve. Make sure to stir it well before serving, as the chocolate will settle.
Other Coffee Drinks You'll Love
- Chick-fil-A Frosted Coffee
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Peppermint Mocha
- Non-Alcoholic Irish Coffee
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Salted Caramel Mocha
Other Chick-fil-A Drinks to Try
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
This copycat Chick-fil-A recipe is super easy to make at home! All you need is a few ingredients, and you'll have a mocha coffee fix ready to enjoy. Make your own mocha cream cold brew and cool off during the last days of summer.
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup, such as Ghirardelli (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons cold brew coffee
- ½ teaspoon sugar, optional
- ½ cup crushed ice, optional
- Assemble: Pour the cream, chocolate syrup, and coffee into an 8-ounce glass and stir well until the chocolate syrup has dissolved. If it's taking a long time, microwave then drink for about 20 seconds to encourage the syrup to dissolve.
- Sweeten: Taste and stir in the sugar if desired.
- Garnish: Add the crushed ice and a paper straw, and enjoy immediately.
- Want to make your own cold brew? Coarsely grind 6 ounces (170g) of medium roast coffee beans and stir them with 6 cups (1.4 liters) of cold water. Cover and refrigerate for 20 hours, then strain out the grounds and reserve the coffee. Cold brew will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Don't have chocolate syrup? Make a substitute by heating ½ cup of heavy cream in a saucepan until just barely simmering, then remove it from the heat and whisk in 3 ounces (85g) of dark chocolate chips until smooth.
- Make Ahead Tips: assemble the drink in advance and refrigerate it until ready to serve. Don't add the ice until you're ready to enjoy it, and make sure to stir it well before serving, as the chocolate will settle.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chick fil a, cold brew, recipe