It’s summer, so beat the heat by not using your stove and make this large colorful bell pepper salad for supper. It’s easy, tasty, and super healthy!
How to Select a Bell Pepper
- Look for a pepper that has glossy, firm, tight skin.
- The pepper should have a green stem.
- Make sure it has no bruises, black spots, soft spots, or wrinkles.
What is the best way to store bell peppers?
- Don’t wash the peppers until just before you use them.
- Store them refrigerated in plastic bags, preferably a perforated one.
- Keep the peppers dry, as moisture encourages spoilage.
What is the best way cut a bell pepper?
- Cut off 1/4 inch from both ends.
- Cut in half from top to bottom to get two halves.
- Remove the ribs, white fiber and seeds using a sharp knife or your hands.
- Lay the pepper skin side down on a cutting board.
- Cut into strips with a sharp knife.
- If necessary, rotate the strips 90 degrees and cut into smaller bite size pieces.
Did I mention this bell pepper salad has no oil in the dressing? It’s only freshly squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper and sugar, so it’s low in fat.
What’s stopping you from making this salad tonight? Grab up your fresh veggies and a chef’s knife and get chopping!
Enjoyed this fresh bell pepper salad? You will like these fresh veggie salads too.
- French Grated Carrot Salad: a delicious lemon and Dijon flavored salad that’s ready in 25 minutes.
- Low Carb Creamy Coleslaw: the star of summer BBQs–perfect on a pulled pork sandwich.
- Refreshing Cucumber Salad: an elegant spring salad the whole family will love.
Did you make this recipe? We would love it if you would rate it and leave a review.
Low carb bell pepper salad is a super healthy side dish or vegan main course that the whole family will love. Red, yellow, and orange peppers, cucumbers, onion, herbs, and a homemade dressing make this easy salad full of color, flavor, and nutrients. It’s a perfect addition to a clean eating meal for weight loss!
For the Salad
- 1 large orange bell pepper, thinly sliced in one inch lengths
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced in one inch lengths
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced in one inch lengths
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, cut into ribbons
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Making the Salad Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar until well blended.
Making the Salad
- In a large bowl, combine the bell peppers, cucumber, red onion, chives, and mint.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Want more protein? Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese just before serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bell pepper, salad