We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission.
It’s summer, so beat the heat by not using your stove and make this large colorful bell pepper salad for supper. It’s easy, tasty, and super healthy!
How can I select a bell pepper?
- Look for one that has glossy, firm, tight skin.
- It should have a green stem.
- Make sure it has no bruises, black spots, soft spots, or wrinkles.
What is the best way to store this vegetable?
- Don’t wash the peppers until just before you use them.
- Store them refrigerated in plastic bags, preferably a perforated one.
- Keep the peppers dry, as moisture encourages spoilage.
What is the best way cut a bell pepper?
- Cut off 1/4 inch from both ends.
- Cut in half from top to bottom to get two halves.
- Remove the ribs, white fiber and seeds using a sharp knife or your hands.
- Lay it skin side down on a cutting board.
- Cut into strips with a sharp knife.
- If necessary, rotate the strips 90 degrees and cut into smaller bite size pieces.
How to Make
Gather all your ingredients.
Prep everything ahead of time. Slice the red onion, cucumber and bell peppers. Chop the mint, green onion then mince the garlic.
Once all the ingredients for the salad are prepped, place them in a large bowl and toss. Serve immediately with dressing or cover and place in the fridge.
To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, spices, and minced garlic.
Just before serving, pour on the dressing and toss to coat.
Did I mention this recipe has no oil in the dressing? It’s only freshly squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper and sugar, so it’s low in fat.
What’s stopping you from making this tonight? Grab up your fresh veggies and a chef’s knife and get chopping!
- Want more protein? Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese just before serving.
Enjoyed this fresh lunch idea? You will like these fresh veggie salads too.
- French Grated Carrot Salad: a delicious lemon and Dijon flavored salad that’s ready in 25 minutes.
- Low Carb Creamy Coleslaw: the star of summer BBQs–perfect on a pulled pork sandwich.
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated.
Low carb bell pepper salad is a super healthy side dish or vegan main course that the whole family will love. Red, yellow, and orange peppers, cucumbers, onion, herbs, and a homemade dressing make this easy salad full of color, flavor, and nutrients. It’s a perfect addition to a clean eating meal for weight loss!
For the Salad
- 1 large orange bell pepper, thinly sliced in one inch lengths
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced in one inch lengths
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced in one inch lengths
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, cut into ribbons
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the bell peppers, cucumber, red onion, chives, and mint.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese just before serving if you want more protein.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bell pepper, salad