Lentil stew with kielbasa sausage is a wonderful stew to serve when you are in a hurry. This easy recipe comes together quickly with the aid of a food processor, and the lentils are ready in 35 minutes. Adding the kielbasa sausage increases the smoky flavor of the dish, plus it adds more protein. Seasoning with cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes, helps increase the heat.
I selected five vegetables for this stew, but you could swap them out for more hearty vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin or butternut squash. To make this dish vegetarian, just switch out the beef broth for vegetable broth and replace the sausage with another vegetable. We have paired this healthy stew with our 7-strand plaited loaf. Make a big batch, serve it for supper and freeze the rest. This way you can enjoy the wonderful taste of this lentil stew with minimal time and effort.
Lentil stew with kielbasa sausage is a quick, hearty stew filled with lentils, veggies, and smoked sausage.
- 1 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayene pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 pound of precooked kielbasa sausage, bite size pieces, reserve some for garnish
- Optional: fresh parsley for garnish
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic cloves.
- On medium high heat, saute the onion in olive oil for 4 minutes in a soup pot, then add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Rinse the lentils and add them to the pot along with all the other ingredients except the last three.
- Bring the soup mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot and celery. Bring it back to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sausage, and heat through.
- Optional: garnish with fresh parsley and finely chopped sausage.