We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Lentil stew with kielbasa sausage is a wonderful stew to serve when you are in a hurry. This easy recipe comes together quickly with the aid of a food processor, and the lentils are ready in 35 minutes. Adding the kielbasa sausage increases the smoky flavor of the dish, plus it adds more protein. Seasoning with cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes, helps increase the heat.
I selected five vegetables for this stew, but you could swap them out for more hearty vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin or butternut squash. To make this dish vegetarian, just switch out the beef broth for vegetable broth and replace the sausage with another vegetable. We have paired this healthy stew with our 7-strand plaited loaf. Make a big batch, serve it for supper and freeze the rest. This way you can enjoy the wonderful taste of this lentil stew with minimal time and effort.
Lentil stew with kielbasa sausage is a quick, hearty stew filled with lentils, veggies, and smoked sausage.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayene pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound of precooked kielbasa sausage, bite size pieces, reserve some for garnish
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, heat up the olive oil then saute the onion, carrots and celery in olive oil for 7 minutes in a soup pot, then add the garlic and cook for a minute while stirring constantly.
- Add the dry spices, stir constantly for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring 1 cup of beef broth. Scrap the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden turner.
- Add the kielbasa, beef broth, lentils, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, fresh oregano, and 1 bay leaf. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and bring the soup mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and finely chopped sausage.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentil soup, lentil sausage stew