We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you hungry for a slice of homemade banana bread, but you don't have time to make a loaf? Whip up one of these moist and fluffy banana mug cakes, and your problem is solved. This treat smells and tastes amazing!
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
Fortunately, this treat only uses basic pantry ingredients that you probably already have. Make sure that your bananas are on the ripe side for the best flavor and texture.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Light brown sugar
- Olive oil (I like to use light-tasting olive oil, but substitute coconut oil if you prefer.)
- Vanilla extract
Can I make a banana mug cake mix?
Of course you can! Triple or quadruple the dry ingredients listed in the recipe card and whisk them together until they're well blended. Store the mix in an airtight container that has been labeled with the date in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. Make sure your baking powder is brand new if you're making the mix, as it will lose its effectiveness after 3 months.
Once you're ready to make a mug cake, measure about 5 tablespoons of the mix into a mug and proceed with the recipe as written. This will speed up the process a little.
Is this dessert healthy?
This treat isn't super healthy, but it does contain fewer calories than other mug cakes, and is high in fiber, protein, iron, and calcium. Scroll to the bottom of the recipe card for the full nutrition facts.
Can I cook this in the oven or an air fryer?
I've never tried to cook a mug cake in the oven or in an air fryer, but others have had success with these methods. For the oven, I'd recommend baking it at 325 F for 10-15 minutes. For an air fryer, use a heatproof mug and bake it at 350 F for 12-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
How long does it keep?
This will taste the best the same day that it's made. If you can't eat the whole thing in one sitting, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, store at room temperature, and eat within 24 hours.
How do you reheat it?
Microwave the dessert on high for 15-20 seconds, or until it's warm enough for you.
How to Make
Gather the ingredients. You'll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, mashed banana, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and chopped walnuts.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until blended.
Add the sugar, milk, oil, vanilla, and mashed banana.
Stir the batter until it's well mixed, being sure to scrape into the corners of the mug for an even mix.
Add the chopped walnuts.
Stir the batter until the nuts are evenly dispersed.
Microwave it on high for 2 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Let the mug cake cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
- Vegan: use your favorite non-dairy milk. I recommend almond or coconut milk.
- Gluten Free: use your favorite measure-for-measure gluten free flour (affiliate) instead of the all-purpose flour.
- Nut Free: simply omit the walnuts or substitute with chia seeds or crushed sunflower seeds.
- Oil Free: use 1 tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce (affiliate) in place of the oil.
- Use overripe, sweet organic bananas for the best flavor. Bananas that have been frozen in their peels are also a good option.
- Mash the bananas until they are quite smooth for the best texture.
- Mix the ingredients well. It's important that there are no lumps or streaks of flour in the batter.
- For a high rising, fluffy cake, let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes before cooking.
Other Delicious Mug Cakes
- Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake
- Vegan Brownie in a Mug
- Cinnamon Roll in a Mug
- Funfetti Mug Cake
- Oreo Mug Cake
Other Easy Desserts
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
Craving a moist slice of banana bread, but you’re in a hurry? Whip up this fluffy banana mug cake recipe, and you’ll be enjoying an eggless microwave treat in no time. It’s a healthy-ish dessert that kids will love, too.
- Pour the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into a 14 ounce mug and stir until well blended.
- Add the brown sugar, mashed banana, milk, olive oil, and vanilla extract and mix until thoroughly combined. Be sure to scrape the spoon all the way into the corners of the mug, and stir until there are no lumps of flour.
- Gently stir in the walnuts and microwave on high for 2 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Let the mug cake cool for 15 minutes before enjoying.
- Use very ripe bananas that have been thoroughly mashed for the best flavor and texture.
- Be sure to mix the batter well so there are no lumps or streaks of unincorporated flour.
- For a higher rising, fluffier cake, let the batter stand for 5 minutes before microwaving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: without egg, cinnamon