Craving a slice of fluffy funfetti cake? This quick and easy mug cake will satisfy your dessert cravings. Top it with a swirl of icing and a candle, and you have a super fast birthday cake!
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
This funfetti mug cake uses basic pantry ingredients that you probably already have. The key ingredient is the rainbow sprinkles, also known as jimmies. Be sure not to use nonpareils or other sprinkles, as they won't melt into the cake batter like the rainbow sprinkles do.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Milk (I like to use whole milk, but feel free to use a non-dairy milk.)
- Oil (Light olive oil is my choice, but any flavorless oil, such as coconut oil, will work.)
- Vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles (affiliate)
How do you make funfetti mug cake mix?
To make a mug cake mix, all you need to do is mix together a few batches of the dry ingredients. Store it tightly sealed in small zip-top bags that are placed in another airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Make sure to use fresh baking powder if you're making a mix, as baking powder loses its maximum effectiveness after 3 months.
To make a mug cake from the mix, measure about ½ cup of the mix into a 16-ounce mug. Follow the remaining instructions as written in the recipe card.
How do I make this into a birthday cake?
All you need is a swirl of icing on top and a birthday candle! See the notes in the recipe card below for a delicious almond buttercream recipe. Make sure to pipe the icing onto the mug cake after it has cooled completely, or it will melt into the cake.
Can I bake this in the oven?
While I've never done it this way before, you can definitely try. I'd start by pouring the batter into a large, oven-safe ramekin and placing it on top of a small baking tray in case it overflows. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. The cake is baked when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
What are the calories?
It's best to share this dessert with a family member or friend, as it's quite high in calories. Half of the mug cake contains 361 calories, 17.5g of fat, and 50g of carbs. For the full nutrition facts, scroll to the bottom of the recipe card.
How long does this mug cake keep?
It will taste best if eaten the same day that it's made. If you need to save some for later, just cover the cake with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
How to Make
Gather the ingredients. You'll need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and rainbow sprinkles.
Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until mixed.
Add the milk, oil, and vanilla.
Stir the batter thoroughly, making sure to scrape the spoon right into the corners of the mug. Stir vigorously to remove most of the lumps. For a fluffier cake, let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes at this stage.
Mix in the rainbow sprinkles.
Microwave the cake on high for 2 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Vegan: use vegan sprinkles (affiliate) and your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Gluten Free: use your favorite measure-for-measure gluten free flour (affiliate).
- Mix the batter thoroughly to remove any lumps or streaks of flour.
- Make sure to use rainbow sprinkles (also called jimmies) for this recipe. This way they will dissolve when baked.
- Let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes before cooking to get a higher rising, fluffier cake.
Other Mug Cakes You’ll Love!
- Vegan Brownie Mug Cake
- Cinnamon Roll in a Mug
- Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake
- Oreo Mug Cake
- Banana Bread in a Mug (coming soon)
More Cake Recipes to Enjoy
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Roulade
- Coffee and Walnut Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Sachertorte (Austrian chocolate cake)
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
This moist and fluffy funfetti mug cake is easy to make in your microwave. This delicious treat can be made vegan and gluten free. Top with a swirl of icing, and you have a wonderful no egg dessert!
- Pour the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large, 16-ounce mug. Stir until well blended.
- Add the milk, oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Make sure to scrape the corners of the mug to get out every bit of flour. For a fluffier result, let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes at this step.
- Stir the sprinkles into the batter and microwave for 2 minutes on high. You'll know the cake is cooked when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the mug cake cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
- Want to make frosting? Blend together 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter (57g), 1 ¼ cup sifted powdered sugar (180g), ¼ teaspoon almond extract, and 1-2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream (15-30 ml) until fluffy. Add a drop of food coloring if desired.
- Be sure to mix the batter thoroughly until there are no lumps or streaks of flour.
- Make sure to use rainbow sprinkles, also called jimmies, for the best results.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: funfetti mug cake mix, birthday cake in a mug