Craving a slice of fluffy funfetti cake? This quick and easy dessert will satisfy your dessert cravings. Top it with a swirl of icing and a candle, and you have a super fast birthday treat!
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
This funfetti treat uses basic pantry ingredients that you probably already have. Let's talk about the most important ingredients you'll need for this funfetti dessert!
- Flour: Regular all-purpose is the best choice for this recipe. Substitute with a measure-for-measure gluten free flour if desired.
- Baking Powder: Make sure yours is still active and fresher than 3 months old for best results.
- Milk: For the photo shoot we used whole milk, but feel free to use a non-dairy milk.
- Oil: Light olive oil is our preferred choice, but any flavorless oil, such as coconut oil, will work.
- Rainbow Sprinkles (affiliate): These sprinkles, also known as jimmies, are the key ingredient. Be sure not to use nonpareils or other sprinkles, as they won't melt into the batter like the rainbow sprinkles do.
How to Make
Gather the ingredients for our funfetti dessert. You'll need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and rainbow sprinkles.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until mixed.
- Add the milk, oil, and vanilla.
3. Stir the batter thoroughly, making sure to scrape the spoon right into the corners. Stir vigorously to remove most of the lumps. For a fluffier result, let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes at this stage.
4. Mix in the rainbow sprinkles for the funfetti look.
5. Microwave the funfetti treat on high for 2 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then decorate with frosting and sprinkles if desired and enjoy right away.
Funfetti is a regular vanilla cake with sprinkles mixed into the batter and frosted with a buttery, fluffy icing. The colorful sprinkles take a plain vanilla birthday treat to the next level!
This funfetti mug cake rises from the baking powder. This leavening agent reacts with the ingredients, and combined with the heat from the microwave, it causes the batter to rise.
You don't need butter at all to make a delicious, moist microwave cake! Simply use your favorite oil, as long as it doesn't have a strong flavor. Light olive oil or refined coconut oil are great healthy choices to use instead of butter.
They are quite similar, but not exactly the same. Birthday cake refers to the vanilla-flavored cakes popular at birthday celebrations, while Funfetti is a variation this dessert with sprinkles added.
How do you make funfetti mug cake mix?
To make a mix, all you need to do is mix together a few batches of the dry ingredients. Store it tightly sealed in small zip-top bags that are placed in another airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Make sure to use fresh baking powder if you're making a mix, as baking powder loses its maximum effectiveness after 3 months.
To make funfetti cake from the mix, measure about ½ cup of the mix into a 16-ounce mug. Follow the remaining instructions as written in the recipe card below.
How long does this funfetti mug cake keep?
It will taste best if eaten the same day that it's made. If you need to save some for later, cover it with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
- Vegan: use vegan sprinkles (affiliate) and your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Gluten Free: use your favorite measure-for-measure gluten free flour (affiliate).
- Oven Baked: Pour the batter into a large, oven-safe ramekin and put it on top of a small baking tray. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. It's baked when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Mix the batter thoroughly to remove any lumps or streaks of flour.
- Make sure to use rainbow sprinkles (also called jimmies) for this recipe. This way they will dissolve when baked.
- Let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes before cooking to get a higher rising, fluffier treat.
Other Easy Desserts You’ll Love
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Funfetti Mug Cake
- Pour the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large, 16-ounce mug. Stir until well blended.
- Add the milk, oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Make sure to scrape the corners to get out every bit of flour. For a fluffier result, let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes at this step.
- Stir the sprinkles into the batter and microwave for 2 minutes on high. You'll know it's cooked when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
- Want to make frosting? Blend together 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter (57g), 1 ¼ cup sifted powdered sugar (180g), ¼ teaspoon almond extract, and 1-2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream (15-30 ml) until fluffy. Add a drop of food coloring if desired.
- Be sure to mix the batter thoroughly until there are no lumps or streaks of flour.
- Make sure to use rainbow sprinkles, also called jimmies, for the best results.
This post was originally published on June 5, 2020 and was updated on June 24, 2022 with refreshed content and refreshed photos.