We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission.
We all love traditional cinnamon rolls, but it can take so long to make them! What if you’re craving one right now? Just whip up this amazing cinnamon roll in a mug, and you’ll have a tasty, gooey, and delicious treat to enjoy!
The dough for this microwave cinnamon roll is pretty simple; it takes basic ingredients you already have in your pantry. For the filling and icing, you’ll also need some softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, icing sugar, and heavy cream.
- All-purpose flour: stabilizes the mixture and binds the ingredients together.
- Sugar: sweetens the dough and affects the texture.
- Baking Powder: makes the dough rise.
- Salt: improves the flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Milk: adds moisture.
- Oil: adds moisture and richness.
- Vanilla Extract: adds depth of flavor.
How many calories are in a mug cinnamon roll?
Since this cinnamon roll mug dessert contains quite a few calories, I’d recommend sharing it with a friend or family member. Half of a roll contains 371 calories, 57.1g of carbs, and 2.9g of protein.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Like most mug cakes, this tastes the best if it’s enjoyed within 20-30 minutes of being cooked.
How do you store leftovers?
Let the leftover cinnamon roll cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
How do you reheat a cinnamon roll in a mug?
Reheat in the microwave on high for 10-20 seconds, or until heated through.
Can you freeze this?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this cinnamon roll in a mug, because it would dry out too much.
How to Make
Gather the ingredients for the dough. You’ll need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
Whisk together the dry ingredients until blended.
Add the wet ingredients and stir to form a dough. You’ll need just enough milk to bring the mixture into a dough.
Grab the filling ingredients next: butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a long, thin rectangle.
Brush the dough with the softened butter.
Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
Roll up the rectangle from one of the short sides to make the roll.
Place it swirl side up in a mug.
Microwave on high for 1 minute, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, grab the frosting ingredients. You’ll need powdered sugar and a touch of cream.
Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl.
Gradually add the cream to make a thick frosting.
Pour the frosting on top of the warm cinnamon roll. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes, then enjoy while it’s warm.
- Be careful not to overwork the dough, or the cinnamon roll will be tough.
- Roll out the dough thinly to get a larger swirl.
- Don’t cook the roll too long, or it will be dry and tough.
Other Amazing Mug Cakes
Other Super Easy Desserts
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
This super easy cinnamon roll in a mug cooks in one minute in the microwave! This is a gooey, buttery mug cake that you’ll be making all the time.
For the Dough
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (42g)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (16g)
- 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, softened (15g)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (25g)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (35g)
- 1–2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream (5–10 ml)
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl until blended. Add the oil, vanilla, and enough milk to bring the mixture together into a smooth dough.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll it out into a long, narrow rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter on the dough, then sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up the dough tightly from one of the short sides and place it inside of a large mug.
- Microwave the cinnamon roll for 1 minute on high, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and gradually mix in enough cream to make a thick icing.
- As soon as the cinnamon roll is cooked, pour the icing on top and allow it to cool for about 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
- Handle the dough gently to prevent it from getting tough.
- Rolling the dough out thinly ensures a larger swirl and more layers of gooey filling.
- Make sure that you don’t overcook the cinnamon roll, or it will be dried out.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon roll in a mug, tasty, recipe