We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
This post was originally published on August 9, 2017.
Christmas in a bottle? Yes, it’s possible! 😊 Mixed spice is a super easy blend that combines all the beautiful flavors of Christmas in one simple recipe. It takes just a minute to throw together, and it keeps for up to 3 months in the pantry.
Can I make my own mixed spice?
Absolutely! Just whisk everything together until well blended, then store in an airtight container away from light and heat.
Can I substitute something for mixed spice?
This British blend really has a distinct flavor, so I’d suggest making your own rather than substituting it. The closest substitute is pumpkin pie spice.
What are the ingredients?
This blend uses only a few ingredients. Feel free to omit ones or tweak the amounts based on your preferences.
Is mixed spice the same as allspice?
No; they’re not the same. Allspice are unripe, dried berries, while mixed spice is a blend of several different spices, including allspice. This chart contrasts the differences.
How do you make mixed spice?
Gather some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, coriander, and mace.
Pour everything into a bowl.
Whisk everything together.
Keep whisking until it’s evenly blended.
Pour the mixture through a sieve to catch any large pieces.
Use right away or store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
- Apple pie
- Hot cross buns
- French toast
- Cinnamon buns
- Christmas cake
- Plum pudding
- Use the freshest spices you can find. Preferably, grind your own with a mortar and pestle or grinder.
- Sieve the mixture to remove any large pieces.
- Store it away from light and heat.
- It will keep in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. After that, its flavor will start to dull.
Use your mixed spice in these delicious recipes.
- Cinnamon Buns with Raisins: these raisin-packed buns are easy to make and freeze well!
- Making a Traditional Christmas Cake: learn how to make this moist, fruit-filled family favorite dessert.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.
Mixed spice is a British blend that’s perfect for baking apple pies or adding to cake, cookies, hot cross buns, or Christmas baking recipes. It’s a sweet blend you can give as a homemade gift, or use to make delicious tea treats and dessert recipes.
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2/3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- Mix all ingredients together with a wire whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Store in an airtight, labeled container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.
- Category: Spice Blends
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: recipes using, uses