We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Have you been noticing that your eating patterns are a bit off track? Get back into the groove by serving this Moroccan lentil stew for supper tonight. It’s chock full of spinach and sweet potatoes, so you know it will be high in vitamins A and C. It also has turmeric in it, so it will provide many antioxidants which are great for improving your cellular health.
This stew is simple to make, and smells amazing when it is simmering away on the stove top. The hardest part is cutting up the vegetables, but once that’s done, it’s smooth sailing; just dump, pour, and stir. Easy!
Who knew a bowl of stew could be so good for you? Experience the health benefits of clean eating today by using this recipe for Moroccan lentil stew.
Pin these great soup recipes to save for later!
Lentil Stew with Kielbasa Sausage: flavorful blend of lentils and smoked sausage.
Kale & Quinoa Stew: a healthy vegetarian stew that’s quick to make.
Leftover Ham and Bean Soup: a delicious stew packed with nutrients, fiber, and protein.
Detox Moroccan Lentil Stew is a gluten-free recipe that will help cleanse your body. This low carb stew is full of sweet potatoes, lentils, turmeric, and spinach. Make this healthy stew and get your clean eating and weight loss goals back on track.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water (for thinning during the last 10 minutes of cooking)
- 4 cups organic spinach
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish)
- Prep the carrots, onions, garlic and sweet potatoes. Get out the 7 spices and set them near the stove.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Dump in the carrots and onions and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and saute for one minute while stirring. Add all the spices and cook for another minute while stirring.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, lemon juice and the rinsed lentils. Stir.
- Cover the Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.
- In the last 10 minutes, add 3/4 cup of water, if necessary, to thin the soup, then add 4 cups of spinach. Slowly stir until all the spinach is wilted.
- During the last 5 minutes, add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro. Stir.
- Serve warm. Garnish soup bowls with the other 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.
- Another garnish idea is Greek yogurt or sour cream. Serve with pita bread.
- You can substitute kale for the spinach.