Low carb Italian sausage, peppers, and onions is a fantastic weeknight dinner option. This dish comes together in one hour and can feed a hungry crew of meat and veggie lovers. I’ve been making variations of this recipe for years because it tastes delicious, is simple to prepare, and is healthy. You can stretch this main course by serving it over rice, quinoa, polenta, grits, pasta or mashed potatoes.
The vitamin C in this recipe is almost 3 times your daily dose due to the red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers. Plus, this recipe is packed with protein, and combines both sweet and mild Italian sausage to intensify the flavor.
If you are on a low carb diet, this recipe should be added to your weeknight supper rotations as it has only 4 % carbs per serving. Serve this main course with our low carb, low calorie hazelnut and apricot salad.
Looking for more low carb dinner recipes? Here’s some more great ones to try!
Southern Smothered Chicken: incredibly flavorful, moist chicken simmered in a mouthwatering gravy.
Skillet Turkey a la King: use up leftover turkey with this creamy classic. It’s ready to eat in just over an hour!
Orange Vegetable Stir Fry: a 45-minute vegetarian dinner packed with vitamin C.Print
Low carb Italian sausage, peppers, and onions is an easy, one hour dinner recipe packed with color, protein, and vitamin C that your family will love! Serve over rice, quinoa, pasta, or polenta for even more yumminess.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium sweet yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium sweet orange bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- sprinkle of salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prick each sausage link with a fork in three different spots to let the steam escape. Place on a cookie sheet or a 9×13-inch baking pan. Cook for 50 minutes uncovered.
- While the sausage cooks, wash and slice the peppers. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan and cook the peppers, stirring occasionally.
- While the peppers cook, slice the onion. In a medium saucepan, melt two tablespoons of butter. Saute the onion for a few minutes. Mince the garlic, then add it to the onions. Cook until fragrant.
- Put the peppers, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. While the vegetables are still warm, add the white wine vinegar and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Rinse and chop the fresh rosemary for extra flavor and for a garnish.
- After 50 minutes, remove the sausage from the oven. Slice each sausage link on the diagonal into 5 pieces. Add to the bowl of cooked peppers and onions. Add the fresh rosemary and stir. Serve warm.
- Have a hungry crew to feed? Serve this dish on top of rice, quinoa, polenta, grits, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
- Watching your calories and your carbs? Skip the extras as this low carb dish can stand alone. Just add a salad or some tomato wedges.