We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
If you’re like me, you probably throw away the apple peels when you make apple pie. But, with this simple recipe, now you’ll be able to enjoy the deliciousness of apple peel chips! It literally only takes a few ingredients and about 10 minutes of prep. Let’s dig in!
👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What are apple peel chips?
Apple peel chips are strips of apple peels baked until brown and crispy. In my recipe, the peels are tossed in a little bit of melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Apple peel chips are a healthy, crunchy snack that’s quick to prep and fun to eat.
Are apple peels good for you?
Yes, apple peels are actually one of the most nutritious parts of an apple. The skin contains most of the fiber and vitamins in an apple.
What can you use apple peelings for?
There are lots of ways to use apple peels. Although baking them into tasty apple peel chips is a great way to enjoy them, here are some other ideas.
- Apple tea
- Infused water
Can dogs eat apple chips?
Plain apple chips without cinnamon, sugar, or other spices are safe for healthy dogs to eat in small quantities. It’s not good for dogs to consume lots of excess sugar, so make sure the chips are plain. As always, consult your veterinarian if you have any questions about feeding apple chips to your dog.
Packaging Apple Peel Chips for Gift Giving
If you want to give away some apple peel chips to family or friends, you can package them in a pretty glass jar with a lid. Tie a gift tag around it with a piece of twine, ribbon, or yarn. See the photo below for an idea.
How to Tell When Apple Peel Chips Are Done
Apple peel chips are done when they have turned a rich, dark brown and are crispy. It takes about 2 1/2 hours at 250 F for thin peels to be baked. Thicker peels will take longer, but don’t turn up the oven temperature; it increases the chance of burning the peels.
How to Store Apple Peel Chips
- Let the chips cool completely.
- Seal them tightly inside of a zip-top bag, glass jar, or airtight container.
- Store in a cool, dry, and dark place for up to 6 months.
- Don’t freeze or refrigerate the chips.
How long do apple chips keep?
If the apple chips are sealed properly and kept in a cool, dark place, they should last for up to 6 months.
How to Make Apple Peel Chips
Gather the ingredients. You’ll need 2 cups (88g) of apple peels, unsalted butter, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg.
Mix the sugar and spices together until well blended.
Melt the butter and toss the peels in it.
Sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the cinnamon sugar on the apple peels. Reserve any extra cinnamon sugar for later.
Toss the peels to coat them in the cinnamon sugar.
Spread the peels evenly on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake the peels at 250 F for 2 1/2 hours, until they are dark brown and crunchy.
Sprinkle the peels with some of the leftover cinnamon sugar mixture and enjoy.
Pro Tips for Making Apple Peel Chips
- Use thick peels for the best taste. Super thin peels will bake faster and burn easier.
- Leave some of the apple flesh on the peels. This helps the peels taste better.
- Bake the peels on parchment paper to catch any messes and keep the cookie sheet clean.
- Bake the peels low and slow for the best results. A high oven temp will burn the peels quickly.
- Reserve the extra cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on the baked peels.
Our Go-To Kitchen Tools for Making Apple Peel Chips
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls: you can never go wrong with a sturdy set of bowls.
- Set of 4 Measuring Spoons: we love these handy spoons for measuring spices.
- Wilton 11×17-Inch Cookie Sheets: these durable trays bake evenly and clean easily.
- Parchment Paper: keep your cookie sheets extra clean with this baking parchment.
This tasty apple dessert will give you lots of peels to use.
- Southern Fried Apples: this mouthwatering treat tastes great with fried pork chops.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for these apple peel chips would be greatly appreciated.Print
Oven baked apple peel chips are a frugal, addictive snack that’s easy to make! These cinnamon sugar coated apple peels are baked until crunchy. Kids will love eating these apple chips on the go!
- 2 cups apple peels, from 4 large apples (88g)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted (14g)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (12g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Mix together the sugar and spices until well blended.
- Toss the apple peels with the melted butter until evenly coated, then mix with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spread the peels evenly on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 250 F for 2 1/2 hours. The peels are done when they are deep brown and very crunchy.
- Sprinkle any extra cinnamon sugar over the peels and enjoy.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for these apple peel chips would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple chips, apple peel uses