We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Are you craving a hot sandwich that’s pure comfort food? Try our pimento cheese sandwich recipe. This sandwich is made with our homemade pimento cheese spread and is topped with crispy bacon and grilled until golden brown, so the outside is crunchy and the inside full of melted cheese.
What kind of bread is used for grilled pimento cheese sandwiches?
- Use bread cut in 1/2 inch slices
- Sourdough bread
- Brioche bread
- Texas toast
What goes good on grilled pimento cheese sandwiches?
- Cooked Vegetables: caramelized onions, collard greens, or fried green tomatoes
- Fresh Vegetables: tomato slices, lettuce
- Pickled Vegetables: dill pickle coins, jalapeños, giardiniera
- Meat: crispy bacon, fried chicken tenders
- Spicy/Smoky: chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Jelly: pepper jelly
How do you cut pimento cheese sandwiches?
- Let the grilled sandwich rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- Cut in half for a casual look.
- Cut in triangles, squares, or fingers for a fancier look.
👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What do you serve with pimento cheese sandwiches?
- Soup: tomato
- Fried vegetables: okra, green tomatoes
- Pickled vegetables: pickle spears, jalapenos coins
- Cooked vegetables: collard greens
- Fresh vegetables: tomatoes
- Crunchy/Salty: potato chips
- Beverage: fresh brewed sweet tea
What is the nutritional information for a grilled pimento cheese sandwich?
If you use our homemade pimento cheese spread, there is 668 calories for 1/2 of a large sandwich. This sandwich is high in vitamins A and C and has 22.6g of protein. For more nutritional information, scroll past our recipe card.
How can I make vegan pimento cheese?
Make the following substitutions to your homemade pimento cheese spread recipe.
- Use vegan friendly mayo.
- Use vegan cheddar shreds.
- Use 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and smashed, along with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
Can you make grilled pimento cheese sandwiches ahead of time?
It’s best to grill the sandwiches just before eating, but you can have the pimento cheese made ahead of time.
Want to make pimento cheese sandwiches extra melty and hot?
- Place grilled pimento cheese sandwiches on a baking tray.
- Place them in a 350 F oven until the cheese melts more and the sandwiches are heated through.
How to Make Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches in Bulk
- Use mayo instead of butter; it spreads faster. Use 1 tablespoon per sandwich.
- Use two large rimmed baking sheets that are the same size.
- Preheat one of the baking sheets on the middle rack in a 450F oven.
- Place 6 sandwiches on the bottom (unheated) baking tray.
- Place the preheated baking sheet on top of the sandwiches.
- Bake on the middle rack in a 450 F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Can you reheat a grilled cheese sandwich?
Yes, you can. It’s best to reheat the sandwich in a skillet over medium high heat for 30 seconds to one minute.
Can you freeze leftover pimento cheese sandwiches?
It’s not advisable since the oil in the mayo will separate when frozen.
Variations of Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Crostini: Spread pimento cheese on a ciabatta loaf top with bacon crumbles. Bake on a baking sheet at 400 F for 2 minutes or until melted.
- English Muffin: Cut English muffins in half and spread pimento cheese on both halves. Bake under the broiler for 5 minutes.
How to Make Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
Gather the four ingredients: homemade pimento cheese spread, bacon, butter, and sliced sourdough bread.
Cook the bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until crispy, flipping with a fork when the first side is done. Pour the bacon grease into a bowl and place in your fridge for another use.
Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and blot with another paper towel to remove extra grease.
Measure out two tablespoons of homemade pimento cheese for each slice of sourdough bread.
Make sure not to spread the pimento cheese right to the edge. There needs to be some room for the pimento cheese to spread out when it is melted.
Add 2 or 3 slices of crispy bacon on top of the homemade pimento cheese spread.
Place the top slice of sourdough bread on the bottom slice.
Butter the top and bottom slices of the bread.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat, than swirl it around the skillet until the bottom is well covered.
Grill the bread over medium heat until golden brown, roughly 2 to 3 minutes. When ready, flip the pimento cheese sandwich over with a metal spatula.
Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board with the metal spatula. Allow the sandwich to cool for 5 minutes.
Cut the two large sandwiches in half with a sharp knife and enjoy them while they’re warm.
Pro Tips for Making Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Don’t want to use butter? Try spreading mayo on the outside of the bread before grilling.
- Want a different fat for grilling? Use bacon grease instead of butter.
- Want to save some calories? Don’t spread butter on the outside of the bread; just toast it in a skillet with a little butter or bacon grease.
- Want to add cooked veggies? Try putting homemade collard greens, that are well drained, or fried green tomatoes on top of the bacon.
- Need a bread tip? Use bread that is thick enough, so it won’t fall apart when flipped or picked up.
- When is it best to cut the sandwich? It cuts the best after it has rested for 5 minutes.
- Need to make lots of sandwiches? Keep them warm in a 350 F oven; it will also melt the pimento cheese more.
- Need topping ideas? Try pickled jalapeños, pickled banana peppers, sliced tomatoes, or lettuce.
- Use homemade pimento cheese spread; it tastes better and is easy to make.
- Want to use nuts as a topping? Try toasted chopped pecans.
Our Go-To Kitchen Tools for Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Emeril 3-Quart Skillet: this heavy-bottomed skillet is perfect for grilling sandwiches.
- Lodge 10-Inch Skillet: we love frying bacon in this sturdy cast iron skillet.
- 11×17-Inch Cookie Sheets: use these trays to keep the sandwiches warm in the oven.
- Bamboo Cutting Board: assemble and serve the sandwiches on this pretty board.
- Metal Spatula: this thin metal spatula makes it easy to flip the sandwiches.
Make other delicious Southern sandwiches with these recipes.
- Pimento Cheese Spread: no need to buy it when you can make delicious pimento cheese at home.
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches: melt-in-your-mouth pulled pork on a soft bun with coleslaw and BBQ sauce.
- Muffaletta Sandwich: this classic New Orleans sandwich is packed with meat, cheese, and olive salad.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for these pimento cheese sandwiches would be greatly appreciated.Print
Grilled pimento cheese sandwich is a Southern style recipe that is an easy idea for your next party. Both kids and grown ups will also love this comfort food for their lunches. Learn how to make this gourmet style grilled sandwich that has crispy bacon and homemade pimento cheese. Serve a tray of these piping hot and they’ll be a big hit while watching the Masters or the Kentucky Derby.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (56g)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup pimento cheese spread (120 ml)
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- Cook the bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until crispy, flipping when needed to cook the other side. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and blot off the excess grease.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of homemade pimento cheese spread on each slice of bread. Leave a small gap near the edges, because the pimento cheese will spread when it melts.
- Place two or three slices of bacon on top of the pimento cheese, then put the top slice of bread on each sandwich. Butter the outside of the bread, both top and bottom slices.
- Grill one sandwich at a time over medium low heat in a large skillet. Cook until golden brown, then carefully flip it over and grill the other side. Repeat with the other sandwich.
- To melt the cheese even more, transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet and place in a 350 F oven until warmed through.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let the sandwiches rest for 5 minutes before cutting in half.
- Serve the hot sandwiches with pickle spears, pickled jalapenos, thick tomato slices, and sweet tea.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for our grilled pimento cheese sandwich would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pimento grilled cheese, pimento cheese sandwiches