Are you looking for a breakfast recipe to make your morning rush less stressful? Why not learn how to make freezer breakfast sandwiches? These sandwiches are simple to make ahead in big batches and are perfect for busy mornings. Just grab one from the freezer, reheat, and your food will be ready to go out the door in two minutes. It’s that easy!
Oh, did I mention how tasty they are? The real beauty of homemade breakfast sandwiches is that there are endless variations; you can customize it to your own taste buds and make it as healthy as you like. How wonderful is that?
What kind of bread can I use for a breakfast sandwich?
- English muffins
- Buttermilk biscuits
What kind of cheese can I use for a breakfast sandwich?
- Sharp cheddar
- American cheese
- Pepper jack
What kind of meat can I use for a breakfast sandwich?
- Leftover spiral ham
- Sausage patties
- Canadian bacon
What kind of vegetables are good for a breakfast sandwich?
- Onions, shallots, scallions, garlic
- Bell pepper
- Wilted greens such as spinach, kale, Swiss chard, or beet greens
- Olives and capers
How can I cook the eggs for a breakfast sandwich?
- Baked in a 9×13-inch baking pan in the oven
- Baked in a muffin tin or ramekin in the oven
- Soft scrambled in a skillet
- Over easy in a skillet
- Thin omelet in a skillet
How to make a healthier breakfast sandwich
- Use whole grain English muffins or bread. This will increase the fiber and make you feel full longer.
- Add more vegetables. This will increase the vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Use only egg whites. This will lower the cholesterol and the calories.
- Use less cheese. Grate the cheese and sprinkle it on top of the egg bake.
- Substitute the meat. Try turkey sausage instead of the ham.
- Go meatless. Add more veggies to the egg bake.
- Weigh the meat on a food scale. This will give you an accurate measurement for all 12 sandwiches.
- Reduce the oil used in the skillet or baking pan.
What can I serve with a breakfast sandwich?
- Fruit salad (apples, kiwi, blueberries, cantaloupe)
- Hash browns
- Tomato wedges
How to Prep a Breakfast Sandwich for the Freezer
Step 1: Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap or paper towel.
Step 2: Wrap each sandwich in foil.
Step 3: Place in a freezer zip-top bag or an airtight container and label.
How to Reheat a Frozen Breakfast Sandwich
- In the Microwave: Remove the foil and plastic wrap from 1 sandwich, then wrap it in paper towel and place on a plate. Microwave for one minute, then flip over and microwave for 45 seconds or until heated through.
- In the Oven: Remove the foil and plastic wrap from the sandwiches, then place them on a baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 F or until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are heated through.
How to Make a Freezer Breakfast Sandwich
Gather all the ingredients. Start the food prep by chopping the green pepper and yellow onion then mincing the garlic. Thinly slice the cheese, chop the green onion, and cut off the extra fat from the spiral ham.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat, then saute the onion, green pepper, and garlic until soft.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl, and pierce the yolks with a fork before whipping up the eggs. Pour in the whole milk.
Whisk together until well combined.
Add in the onion, pepper, and garlic mixture.
Make sure the oven rack is in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 375 F. Prep the baking pan with olive oil so the egg mixture doesn’t stick.
Pour in the egg mixture and sprinkle on the green onions, salt, and black pepper. Bake in the oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until the center is set and the edges are slightly brown.
While the eggs are baking, make up the sauce. Mix together the Dijon mustard, sour cream, and mayo.
Test if the eggs are done by inserting a knife. If it comes out clean, the eggs are cooked.
Let the eggs cool for a few minutes, then slice into 12 equal pieces.
Slice the English muffins and place on two cookie sheets.
Toast them under the broiler until they are golden brown or the color you desire.
To assemble the breakfast sandwich, start with the leftover spiral ham.
Next, add the egg squares.
Layer on the thinly sliced cheese. If eating right away, melt the cheese in the oven under the broiler.
Thinly spread on the Dijon, sour cream, mayo mixture.
Place the top half on the breakfast sandwich and you are all ready to dig in and enjoy.
Pro Tips for Making Breakfast Sandwiches
- Want lower carbs? Replace the bread with meat or eggs.
- Want lower cholesterol? Omit the cheese and use only egg whites.
- Want lower sodium? Omit the ham and increase the vegetables in the egg mixture.
- Want higher vitamin C? Add a tomato slice after the sandwich is reheated.
- Want to change up the egg mixture? Try adding capers for a salty taste.
- Want other toppings? Add avocado, pickle slices, red onion, or lettuce after the sandwich is reheated.
- Want a different spread? Try garlic butter, maple butter, or cream cheese mixed with spices.
Love this breakfast sandwich? Try these other delicious breakfast ideas.
- Skillet Breakfast Hash: tender potatoes, colorful veggies, and creamy eggs all cooked in one skillet.
- Southern Cheese Grits Casserole: comfort food at its best! You’ll love this Southern breakfast food.
- Quiche Lorraine Recipe: a super easy bacon quiche with flaky homemade pastry.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for these breakfast sandwiches would be greatly appreciated.Print
Learn how to make freezer breakfast sandwiches with this simple recipe! Make ahead these delicious and healthy sandwiches in big batches so you’re ready for busy mornings. This version is made with English muffins, leftover ham, eggs baked with vegetables and cheese. It’s perfect for families on the go; just reheat from frozen in the microwave for a tasty, easy meal.
- 1 tablespoon butter (14g)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped (75g)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (80g)
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 English muffins
- 14 ounces spiral ham (400g)
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (226g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Making the Breakfast Sandwiches
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven, then preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion and the green pepper for roughly 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Brush olive oil on a 9×13-inch baking pan with sides. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl, then stir in the onion and green pepper mixture. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the green onion, salt, and pepper on top. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until the center is set and the edges are slightly browned and a knife comes out clean. Let cool, then slice into 12 pieces.
- While the eggs are baking, mix together the Dijon mustard, sour cream, and mayo in a small bowl.
- Slice the English muffins in half and place on a cookie sheet cut side up. Toast the English muffins under the broiler until golden brown.
- To assemble the sandwiches, start by putting one layer each of ham, egg, and cheese on top of a toasted English muffin. If you’re serving the sandwiches right away, put the sandwich (without the top on) under the broiler until the cheese has melted to your liking.
- Spread the mayo/Djion spread on the top half of the toasted English muffin and place on top of the sandwich. Serve warm.
Freezing & Reheating the Sandwiches
- To package the sandwiches for the freezer: wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil. Label the zip-top freezer bag with the date and contents and put the sandwiches inside. Press or suck the air out of the bag, then freeze for up to two months.
- To reheat in the microwave: remove the foil and plastic wrap from one breakfast sandwich. Loosely wrap a paper towel around the sandwich and put it on a plate. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Flip over and microwave for another 45 seconds or until heated through.
- To reheat in the oven: remove the foil and plastic wrap from the sandwiches and bake for 15 minutes at 350 F on a cookie sheet or until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is heated through.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for these make ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: make ahead, freezer friendly, ham sandwich