Craving something different to drink tonight with your children at supper? Try making a Roy Rogers mocktail. It’s non-alcoholic, plus it’s super simple. It’s a perfect recipe to make with your children as it only takes 4 ingredients. Trust me, the kid in you will love it just as much as your children will.
Go retro and buy the old fashioned glass bottles of Coca-Cola, and let your kids open it with a bottle opener. You might have to hold the bottom of the Coca-Cola bottle for them, so it doesn’t tip over in their enthusiasm. 😊 Next, get them to count out the 15 ice cubes, and place them inside each highball glass tumbler. Then ask them to slowly pour the Coca-Cola over the ice and into the glass. They will love this part, as the cola will start to fizz. Depending on the speed they are pouring, the drink could overflow, so it’s best to make the Roy Rogers over the counter.
The grenadine syrup comes next. Pour in two tablespoons and stir slowly using a long-handled metal spoon. Let them pick out a perfect long-stemmed maraschino cherry to put on top. For the finishing touch, insert a red and white striped paper straw. Your child will be so impressed with their Roy Rogers, they’ll want to help you make the cousin to this drink, a Shirley Temple, for supper tomorrow night.
If you like this drink recipe, check out these other great recipes to Pin!
Classic Shirley Temple: a 4-ingredient drink that’s a close cousin to the Roy Rogers.
Best Caesar Mocktail: an authentic Canadian mocktail made with clamato juice.
Sparkling Cranberry Mocktail: an amazingly refreshing, super-quick drink that’s perfect for entertaining.Print
Looking for an easy, non alcoholic recipe that is both fun to make and drink for your children? This Roy Rogers mocktail takes 4 ingredients: cola, grenadine, maraschino cherries, and ice. This popular drink is commonly served along side a Shirley Temple to please both the boys and the girls at any party.
- 15 ice cubes
- 8 ounces Coca-Cola
- 2 tablespoons grenadine
- 1 maraschino cherry with stem
- Select a highball glass tumbler that can hold 12 fluid ounces. Place 15 ice cubes into the glass. It should be roughly 3/4 full.
- Slowly pour the cola over the ice. You may need to stop pouring if the fizz gets too high in the glass. If this happens, just wait until the fizz settles down, and resume pouring until all 8 fluid ounces are in the glass.
- Pour two tablespoons of grenadine into the drink. With a long-handled metal spoon, slowly stir the grenadine into the cola. If you stir to quickly, you’ll create more fizz and could have a spill.
- Select a pretty maraschino cherry with a long stem to place on top of the drink.
- Insert a straw. Serve immediately to prevent the ice cubes from melting and diluting the drink.
- Traditionally, a Roy Rogers is garnished only with a maraschino cherry and a straw, but if you want to change things up you could also add an orange slice to the rim.
- If you are allergic to red food dye, make your own grenadine syrup–it’s easy! Use equal parts of pomegranate juice to sugar. Add a bit of lemon juice, and a few drops of orange blossom water.