Looking for a refreshing drink to make this spring? Our easy lime and mint drink is an easy drink recipe that will please guests at an Easter brunch, baby shower, or backyard party.
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious lime and mint drink. Let's discuss the key ingredients and get started!
- Sparkling Water: I used lime-flavored Perrier to add an extra layer of flavor to this recipe, but you can also use plain or cucumber and lime.
- Simple Syrup: This simple medley of white sugar and water will sweeten the drink without adding gritty sugar crystals that won't dissolve.
- Lime Juice: Make sure to freshly squeeze your own with a citrus press or reamer. Fresh juice is ten times better than canned or bottled!
How to Make
Gather the ingredients for our lime and mint drink. You'll need plain simple syrup, sparkling mineral water, lime juice, and the steeped syrup. Cut some citrus slices and cucumber pieces for the garnish.
- Pour 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup of water into a saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add ½ cup of chopped fresh mint and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Cover and steep for 1 hour.
- Mix together the two simple syrups and the juice. Add a few ice cubes.
3. Top up with sparkling mineral water and gently stir to combine.
4. Garnish and enjoy our refreshing lime and mint drink!
Any fresh mint leaves will do, but most sold in grocery stores is spearmint. The flavor may be slightly different depending on the variety used.
There's no need to muddle to make this drink since its flavor is infused with the simple syrup by steeping it. If you want to muddle, the best way is to use a mortar and pestle to crush the mint leaves.
Cut the lime in half crosswise. Place the halves on a plate and microwave for 30-45 seconds. This softens the limes, making it easier to squeeze the juice.
Next, push a citrus reamer into the center of the fruit and twist to extract the juice. Pour the juice through a sieve to remove any pulp and seeds.
Mix together 2 cups plain simple syrup, ½ cup infused syrup, and ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Gently stir in 5 ⅓ cups of sparkling mineral water, then serve immediately. Garnish each glass as desired.
Make ahead: Stir together all the ingredients except the sparkling water and refrigerate until needed. Stir in the sparkling water just before serving.
- Simple Syrup: you can use honey, agave nectar, or some other mild-flavored liquid sweetener.
- Lime Juice: if you're in a pinch, you can use bottled juice. Just be aware that it won't taste the same as freshly squeezed.
- Mineral Water: try club soda or Sprite.
- Let the simple syrup steep for an hour. This gives it a beautiful flavor.
- Chill the sparkling water. This will help keep the drink cold.
- Use freshly squeezed juice. The bottled kind doesn't taste as good.
- Make the drink ahead of time. Just add the sparkling water just before serving.
- Feel free to change up the flavor by adding extra syrup or lime juice to taste.
More Mocktails You'll Love
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Lime and Mint Drink
For the Mint Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
For Each Drink
- ¼ cup simple syrup, chilled
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mint syrup
- Sparkling mineral water, chilled
- 1 slice of cucumber, quartered
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
- 1 lime wheel
Making the Infused Syrup (10 min + 1 hour steeping)
- Pour the sugar and water into a medium saucepan and stir together over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then add the chopped mint and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Strain out the leaves and let it chill until needed.
Making the Drink (10 minutes)
- Combine ¼ cup simple syrup, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1 tablespoon infused syrup in the glass, then top with about ⅔ cup of sparkling mineral water. Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a slice of cucumber cut into fourths and a sprig of fresh mint. Place a citrus wheel on the rim of the glass and serve immediately.
- Let the syrup steep for at least 1 hour for a strong mint flavor.
- Chill the ingredients to eliminate the need for ice.
- Squeeze your own juice for the freshest flavor.
- Feel free to change up the flavor by adding extra mint syrup or lime juice to taste.
- Make Ahead: stir together all the ingredients, except the sparkling water, and refrigerate. Just before serving, add the sparkling water and garnishes.
This recipe was originally published on April 12, 2018, and was updated with new photos and content on June 5, 2019.