We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission.
Okay, it’s Friday. You’ve had a hard week and are so ready for the weekend. De-stress by reclining on the porch, enjoying the summer breeze, and sipping on one of these sparkling grapefruit and ginger fizzes. It’s so refreshing, you’ll want to have a refill! Better yet, these fizzes are non alcoholic.
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What is grapefruit ginger fizz?
This drink is a refreshing medley of simple syrup, soda, freshly grated ginger, and grapefruit juice. Each drink is garnished with a fresh mint sprig. It has a sweet-tart flavor with hints of citrusy bitterness.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make it ahead of time. Stir together all the ingredients except the soda. Add it to the pitcher right before serving so it doesn’t lose its carbonation.
Is this drink healthy?
Each one contains only 164 calories and 28% of your daily vitamin C intake. It does contain a lot of sugar at 37.8g, however. You can lower the sugar content by reducing the amount of syrup in the drink, and swapping the ginger ale for sparkling mineral water.
Is it good for pregnant ladies?
Yes, it would be a good nonalcoholic drink for pregnant ladies. It’s naturally low in calories at 164 calories. See the question above for ideas on reducing the sugar content.
Health Benefits of Drinking Grapefruit Juice
- Low calorie
- Strengthens the immune system
- Contains antioxidants
What kind of glass do you use?
I like the look and feel of a champagne flute for these fizzes. If you don’t own champagne flutes, try a wine glass or Collins glass instead.
How do you rim the glasses with sugar?
- Dip the rims of the glasses into simple syrup. You can also use corn syrup, maple syrup, or honey–just something sweet and sticky.
- Dip the rims into granulated sugar. Change things up and use brown sugar or demerara sugar if desired.
How to Make
Make a simple syrup by mixing together 1 cup (200g) of granulated sugar in 1 cup (236 ml) of water in a saucepan. Set over medium heat and stir until dissolved.
Peel a ginger root with a spoon and finely chop it. Add it to the syrup and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the syrup has thickened. Remove from the heat, cover, and let it steep for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, gather the rest of the ingredients. You’ll need grapefruit juice, ginger ale, freshly grated ginger root, and the syrup. Make sure to strain the syrup before mixing it with the other ingredients.
Make sure to prepare some mint sprigs and mini grapefruit slices for garnishes.
Stir together all the ingredients until blended.
Carefully pour the drink into 7-ounce champagne flutes, using a plastic funnel to prevent spillage. Garnish each drink.
- Simple Syrup: a mild-flavored liquid sweetener, such as honey
- Grapefruit Juice: orange juice
- Grated Ginger Root: a couple pinches of ground ginger
- Soda: sparkling mineral water, Sprite, or 7UP
- Make the syrup ahead of time. It can steep in the fridge, and you can strain it when you’re ready to use it.
- Let the ginger syrup steep for 1 hour, then strain it. This makes the flavor stronger.
- Don’t want to add ice to the glasses? Chill all the ingredients ahead of time.
- Don’t have time to chill everything? Add ice cubes to the drinks. Just realize you won’t be able to fit as much liquid in the glass.
- Prepare the garnishes ahead of time. Then, you can serve the drinks at a moment’s notice.
- Saucepan: this small saucepan is great for making simple syrup.
- Measuring Cup: we love using this measuring cup for pouring liquids.
- Mesh Sieves: it’s easy to sieve or strain liquids with these well-made sieves.
- Plastic Funnels: effortlessly pour drinks into narrow glasses without spilling anything.
Other Mocktails to Enjoy
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated.Print
De-stress with these sparkling grapefruit and ginger fizz. They’re a refreshing, nonalcoholic drink made with ginger ale, ruby red grapefruit juice, and a simple syrup. It’s a perfect drink for a special dinner, baby shower, or ladies’ party!
For the Syrup (Makes about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
For the Drinks
- 1 1/4 cup syrup (295 ml)
- 1 1/4 cup grapefruit juice, chilled (295 ml)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cups ginger ale, chilled (709 ml)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Mint leaves or sprigs
- 1 Cara Cara orange or grapefruit
Preparing the Syrup
- Place the sugar and water into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. Add the peeled and finely diced ginger and let the syrup simmer over medium heat until thickened slightly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the pot and let the syrup steep for 1 hour, then strain it.
Making the Drinks
- To coat the rim of the glasses, dip the rim the syrup, then dip it in granulated sugar. Use glasses with a 7 fluid ounce capacity.
- Combine the grapefruit juice, syrup, grated ginger, and soda in a pitcher until well blended.
- Place three ice cubes into each glass. Pour the drink mixture into the glasses using a plastic funnel to prevent spillage.
- Garnish each glass with a small citrus wedge and a mint leaf. Serve immediately.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated.
- Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grapefruit drinks non alcoholic, grapefruit mocktail
This post was originally published on March 30, 2018.