Turkey stroganoff is a fantastic way to use up leftover turkey. This recipe is loaded with flavorful ingredients like garlic, onion, mushrooms, thyme and savory, but the secret ingredient is using up your tasty leftover turkey gravy that has been reduced. Plan ahead and reserve some of your gravy from Thanksgiving to use to make this dish.
There is no flour in this recipe, so you don’t need to make a traditional white sauce. The sauce appears at the end when the sour cream is added to the mixture of vegetables and turkey gravy. Add a bit of filtered water or chicken stock to thin out your sauce. Adjust your seasonings of salt and pepper then serve over egg noodles that are garnished with parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Use our flavorful giblet gravy recipe for your secret ingredient.Print
This delicious, creamy leftover turkey stroganoff with mushrooms tastes fantastic served over egg noodles or pasta. It’s an easy recipe perfect for a weeknight meal!
For the Stroganoff Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup flavorful turkey gravy, reduced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups shredded turkey, a mixture of white and dark
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or filtered water
For the Egg Noodles
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
Making the Stroganoff Sauce
- Reduce your homemade turkey gravy by boiling it down to intensify the flavor.
- Saute the garlic, onion, and mushrooms in butter until soft.
- Add the gravy and spices and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the shredded turkey and continue to simmer until heated through.
- Turn off the heat, then add the sour cream and mix well. Stir in the chicken stock or filtered water a little at a time to thin the sauce.
- Adjust your seasonings, and add salt or more pepper to taste.
Preparing the Egg Noodles
- Boil your water in a medium-sized pot for your egg noodles.
- Cook according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with water.
- Pour the noodles into a large bowl, dump in a glug of olive oil, and mix well so they don’t stick together.
Serving the Stroganoff
- Spoon the sauce over a pile of egg noodles. Garnish with fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.