We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Tortellini with basil alfredo sauce has been my busy Baker’s 🍞 favorite creamy pasta dish for the past six years. She likes to have it on special milestone days. You too will happily oblige your loved ones when you cook this for them. This basil alfredo sauce is a snap to whip up for dinner.
To make this memorable sauce, start with sauteing the tender part of a green onion and some garlic in butter. Make a quick roux, by whisking in some flour and letting it cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in some white wine, and cook off the alcohol for a minute. Whisk in your cream until its smooth, then stir some chicken stock and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Cook for a few minutes while stirring occasionally, then add your basil ribbons. Serve this amazing Italian Alfredo basil sauce over three cheese tortellini, and you’ll have one more recipe to add to your family’s master list. As an added bonus, this dish comes together in thirty minutes and only dirties two dishes. Have I convinced you to make this recipe for supper tonight?
Tortellini with basil alfredo sauce is a quick and easy dinner recipe that gets rave reviews from both young and old.
For the Basil Alfredo Sauce
- 6 green onions, white part only, sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (reserve 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Pasta & Garnish
- 20 ounces three-cheese tortellini, cooked
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 cup roasted grape tomatoes (optional)
- Saute the green onion and garlic in butter until soft.
- Make a quick roux by whisking in the flour and letting it cook for a couple of minutes while stirring.
- Whisk in some white wine, and cook off the alcohol for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the cream until smooth, then add the chicken stock and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, then mix in the chopped basil.
- Sprinkle with some cracks of black pepper and garnish with mini fresh basil leaves.
- Serve over cooked three cheese tortellini. If you would like, garnish with toasted pine nuts or roasted grape tomatoes.
- Have the ingredients all ready before sauteing the onion and garlic.
- Variation #1: add toasted pine nuts after making the sauce and stir well.
- Variation #2: add roasted grape tomatoes after making the sauce and stir well.