We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
This post was originally published on March 7, 2018.
The one drink you need to make this St. Patrick’s Day is this non alcoholic Irish coffee. It’s quick to make, and takes just a few ingredients! It looks so fancy–but it’s actually easy to do.
👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
Is there alcohol in this drink?
Traditionally, it is made with Irish whiskey. There’s no alcohol in my version, however.
Is it served hot or cold?
It is traditionally served hot to allow the sugar to dissolve. This drink tastes the best while it is hot and fresh.
Should you stir Irish coffee?
Yes, you’ll need to stir it to dissolve the sugar and disperse the rum extract, then you’ll pour the whipped cream on top. Be sure to let the drink stop swirling before pouring the cream on top!
How do you drink it?
Just sip it as you normally would. The liquid will flow through the layer of cream on top as you drink, which is delightful!
Who invented Irish coffee?
Joe Sheridan, a chef and bartender at the Flying Boat terminal in Foynes, Ireland, invented this drink in 1943. A plane was forced to return to the terminal because of bad weather, and Sheridan made these special drinks for the chilled passengers to enjoy. They’ve been popular ever since.
How to Make Non Alcoholic Irish Coffee
Gather the ingredients: freshly brewed hot coffee, rum extract, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, and cocoa powder (for an optional garnish).
Pour the coffee, rum extract, and brown sugar into a glass mug.
Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Whip the cream until thick and airy, but still pourable.
Make sure the surface is perfectly still from being stirred, then pour the cream over the back of a spoon. The cream should float perfectly on top.
Smooth the cream if needed with a spoon.
If desired, use a stencil to create a cocoa powder design on top.
Enjoy while they’re still hot.
Are you ready to try this out? You’ll need to make this for St. Patrick’s Day this year!
- Use strong, freshly brewed coffee for the best flavor. Use caffeinated or decaf, whichever you prefer.
- Adjust the amount of rum extract to your personal taste.
- Be sure to use real heavy whipping cream that you’ve whipped yourself. Cool Whip and Reddi Whip will not be good substitutes.
- Pour the whipped cream over the back of a spoon. This keeps the cream floating on top.
- Do a practice drink to check your cream-pouring skills. Go slow–you can always make another one!
Our Go-To Kitchen Tools for This Recipe
- Secura French Press: this insulated stainless steel French press is easy to use and clean.
- Hamilton Beach Electric Mixer: a practical and easy-to-use addition to your kitchen arsenal.
- Metal Sieves: we love this sturdy set of three sieves for draining, sifting, and straining.
- Pyrex 2-Cup Measuring Cup: it’s easy to measure liquids and solids with this measuring cup.
These other caffeinated drinks will have you coming back for a refill!
- How to Make French Press Coffee: make the best java you’ve ever tasted with these top tips.
- Smoked Butterscotch Latte: this Starbucks copycat recipe is simple and delicious.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte: make your own PSL anytime of year with this easy and tasty recipe.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.Print
This quick and easy drink is the perfect drink for kids and adults to enjoy on St. Patrick’s Day. Coffee, brown sugar, and rum extract are topped with whipped cream to make this fancy mocktail. Stay warm with this fun drink!
- 2/3 cup strong black coffee (157 ml)
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, for garnish (optional)
- Fill a glass mug with 2/3 cup of hot coffee. Add the sugar and rum extract and stir until dissolved. Let the cup stand still until the mixture has completely stopped swirling.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream in a medium bowl until it’s thick and airy, but still pourable. Pour it into a jug with a spout.
- Pour the cream over the back of a spoon right in the center of each mug.
- If desired, dust the cream with cocoa powder using a stencil, and serve immediately.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of rum extract to your preference, or leave it out entirely.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Whipped
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: non alcoholic, recipe