Do you have a craving for one of Panera Bread's soups, but want to save some money? We've got you covered. Our copycat Panera 10 Vegetable Soup is healthy, hearty, and vegan. It smells so good when it's simmering, and tastes amazing. Enjoy this one pot recipe over and over again with your family and friends and make some incredible memories.
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
The ingredient list is a long one, but most of the ingredients are easy-to-find pantry staples. The ones you might not have sitting in your pantry are sprouted short grain brown rice, chia seeds, aleppo chili powder, and dried lemon peel. If these items aren't available at your local grocery store, you can order them online.
The dried aleppo chili powder is a spice that provides slow building heat, but is half as spicy as red pepper flakes.
- Fresh Vegetables: yellow onion, carrots, celery, red and yellow bell pepper, poblano pepper, spinach, and garlic
- Canned Vegetables: fire roasted tomatoes, fire roasted yellow corn, and tomato paste
- Frozen Vegetable: green peas
- Fat: olive oil
- Dried Spices: onion and garlic powder, aleppo chili, cumin, sea salt, white pepper, cumin, rosemary, basil, and bay leaves
- Liquids: vegetable broth and reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Acids: rice vinegar, freshly squeezed lime juice, freshly sliced lemon wheels
- Grains & Seeds: sprouted brown rice and the chia seeds (These ingredients help thicken the soup, so it's less brothy.)
- Protein: garbanzo beans
Is Panera's 10 vegetable soup healthy?
Yes, it's very healthy and has the lowest calorie count out of all Panera Bread's soups. Panera's one cup serving size contains 60 calories, 1g fat, 3g fiber, 4g sugar, and 3g protein. However, Panera's version is more brothy and less filling than ours.
Our copycat recipe for the same serving size has 166 calories, 3.8g fat, 6.7g fiber, 8.5g sugar, and 5.3g protein. For more nutritional information, please scroll to the end of the recipe card.
Is this soup discontinued from Panera's restaurants?
Ten vegetable soup was introduced in January 2019 at all restaurants across the country in the United States. It was taken off the menu from our local Panera Bread sometime in 2020. You maybe able to buy it at your local Panera Bread or from their Panera at Home line, which is featured at certain supermarkets in the U.S. and online.
Is this soup vegan?
Yes, the main reason they put 10 vegetable soup on the menu in January 2019 was to have a vegan soup option for their customers. It is plant-based and Mediterranean diet approved.
Our copycat recipe is also vegan and gluten free friendly; just replace the soy sauce with liquid aminos or tamari.
Does Panera make their own soup?
Unfortunately, the soups aren't made fresh at the restaurants. They are made at a plant, and then flash frozen and shipped to each restaurant. The soups are thawed out in a thermalizer and served to customers.
If you want freshly made 10 vegetable soup, you'll have to make your own at home with our copycat recipe.
How much does a cup of Panera soup cost?
An 8 ounce serving ordered at the restaurant will cost you $5.69. Depending upon the grocery store, the Panera at Home line of soups will cost anywhere from $4.49 to $6.09 per container.
Our copycat recipe for 10 vegetable soup makes 15 cups. This means that buying this much soup at Panera would set you back $85, plus tax and tip, so you're getting close to spending $100 for soup. Ouch! Learn how to make it in the comfort and safety of your own home and save some cash.
How to Make
Gather all the veggies for the soup.
You'll also need to grab the spices, sprouted short brown rice and chia seeds.
Heat up the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat for roughly 2 minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrot, red and yellow bell peppers, and the poblano pepper. Saute until softened, roughly 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
Bloom all the spices except the bay leaves for 30 seconds, stirring constantly so they don't burn.
Add the tomato paste and stir for 5 minutes so it darkens and starts to caramelize.
Deglaze the pot by pouring in ½ cup of vegetable stock and scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden turner.
Add the rest of the stock and bay leaves and stir well. Add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sprouted brown rice, chia seeds, garbanzo beans, and fire roasted corn. Add the peas and fire roasted tomatoes.
Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. (It's important to keep the lid on so the rice cooks.) Remove the lid, stir, and let the soup simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust spices, if necessary. Cook for another 15 minutes then add the fresh spinach and let it wilt for a minute. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the freshly squeezed lime juice. (If you are substituting lemon zest for lemon peel, add the 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.)
Serve the soup hot with a lemon wheel and a thick slice of freshly baked tomato basil bread.
- Need this keto friendly? Add Parmesan cheese and avocado slices to increase the fat.
- Can't find sprouted short grain brown rice? Swap it out with barley.
- Can't find dried aleppo chili powder? Swap it out with paprika.
- Can't find dried lemon peel? Swap it out with 1teaspoon of lemon zest and add it at the end.
- Can't find fire roasted tomatoes or corn? Swap it out with regular tomatoes and corn, but realize it will lose some flavor.
- To save time, cut up the 7 fresh vegetables, measure the dried spices, and juice the limes ahead of time.
- Want extra broth in the soup? Add more broth and adjust spices.
- Serve with a thick hearty slice of bread, like Panera's tomato and basil bread.
- Can't eat it all? Freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Other Panera Bread Soups
- Baked Potato Soup
- Bistro French Onion Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Turkey Chili
- Summer Corn Chowder
- Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Other Panera Bakery Items
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
Our Panera Bread 10 vegetable soup is an easy copycat recipe that is super healthy, hearty, and full of flavor. Learn how to make this one bowl meal on the stovetop and save yourself some money. This meal idea is vegan and gluten free friendly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped (95g)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced (156g)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (120g)
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, chopped (105g)
- ¾ cup yellow bell pepper, chopped (105g)
- ¾ cup poblano pepper, chopped (95g)
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika or aleppo chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (33g)
- 8 cups vegetable stock (1.9 L)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (30 ml)
- ½ cup sprouted brown rice or barley, rinsed well (102g)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (18g)
- 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (425g)
- 15-ounce can fire roasted corn, drained and rinsed (425g)
- 4 15-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes (1.7 kg)
- ½ cup frozen green peas (60g)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, packed (90g)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (30 ml)
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced into wheels for garnish
- Sauté Veggies: Heat up the oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium high heat until it shimmers, then add the first six vegetables. Sauté the vegetables until they have softened, about 10 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, roughly 30 seconds.
- Bloom Spices: Add all the dried spices except the bay leaves to the pot and stir constantly for 30 seconds to release their flavors and aromas. Add the tomato paste and cook for 4 to 5 minutes while stirring, so it darkens and starts to caramelize.
- Deglaze the Pan: Pour ½ cup of vegetable stock into the pot by scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden turner to scrape off any brown bits.
- Add Other Ingredients: Add all the remaining ingredients except the spinach and lime juice. Stir until well combined.
- Simmer: Cover and bring to a boil, roughly 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover the soup and give it a stir. Let it simmer for another 45 minutes, then taste the soup and adjust any spices. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Finish: Add the spinach and let it wilt for a minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, pour in the freshly squeezed lime juice, and stir. Garnish each serving with a lemon wheel, and serve hot with a thick slice of fresh tomato basil bread.
- Want to save time? Prep the fresh vegetables, measure the dried spices, and juice the limes ahead of time.
- Want your soup brothy? Add more broth and adjust spices.
- Want a bread suggestion? Serve Panera's Tomato and Basil.
- Have leftovers? Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Panera Bread 10 Vegetable Soup, nutrition, gluten free