We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Are you a big fan of olives? This olive salad will have you coming back for seconds. I promise it won’t last long.
How do you eat olive salad?
- In a muffaletta sandwich (my personal favorite)
- Mixed with lettuce, provolone, and salami
- As a dip with warm, fresh bread
- As a crostini with goat cheese and prosciutto
- As a pizza topping
- With cream cheese and Parmesan cheese in a savory palmier
👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What ingredients are used in an olive salad?
- Green and black olives
- Pickled cauliflower, carrots and celery (from a jar of giardiniera)
- Roasted red peppers
- Onion or shallot
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley, oregano, and thyme
- Kosher salt and black pepper
How to Make Olive Salad
First, prepare all the ingredients for the salad and the dressing. Coarsely chop the olives, parsley, and oregano, then mince the garlic and shallot, and finely chop the pickled vegetables. Cut the ingredients small enough to be used as a spread.
Get a mixing bowl and place all the salad ingredients in it.
Mix it well with a large spoon.
In a smaller mixing bowl, pour in the salad dressing ingredients.
Whisk until well combined.
Pour the salad dressing over the olive salad mixture, then stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight to give it time to marinate.
Pro Tips for Making Olive Salad
- Use the best olive oil you can find.
- Have a 2:1 ratio of green and black olives.
- Use the cauliflower, carrots and celery from a jar of giardiniera (Italian pickled veggies).
- Add a signature ingredient, such as chickpeas, pickled potatoes, canned artichokes, or cocktail onions.
- Change it up by adding some olive brine, pickled pepper brine, or lemon juice.
- In a hurry? Use a food processor to chop the veggies.
- Chill for 8 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
There you have it! A super tasty olive salad recipe that will knock your next muffaletta sandwich out of the ball park. Trust me.
Our Go-To Kitchen Tools for Making Olive Salad
- Cuisinart Knife Set: we love the versatility of this convenient knife set.
- Set of 6 Prep Bowls: these pretty glass bowls are great for storing prepped ingredients.
- Set of 3 Whisks: these sturdy stainless steel whisks don’t bend easily.
- Castelvetrano Olives: use these tasty green olives in olive salad.
Make an amazing muffaletta sandwich with these other recipes!
- Perfect Muffaletta Bread: beginning bakers can make this round Italian-style loaf topped with sesame seeds.
- New Orleans Muffaletta Sandwich: a fancy sandwich packed with meat, cheese, and olive salad. Plus, it’s make ahead friendly.
- How to Make Giardiniera: this tangy homemade giardiniera is an important ingredient in authentic olive salad.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for this olive salad recipe would be greatly appreciated.Print
Olive salad is commonly used in a muffaletta sandwich, which originated in New Orleans at Central Grocery. Green and black Kalamata olives, giardiniera, vinegar, oil, garlic, and other goodies round out this family sized dish that is great for picnic lunches or the Super Bowl.
For the Salad
- 1 cup Castelvetrano olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 cup pickled veggies (giardiniera: cauliflower, carrots, celery), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peperoncini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons shallots
For the Dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/16 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Making the Dressing
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, and spices.
Making the Salad
- Chop up the olives, capers, peppers, and fresh herbs.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix well together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Stir to coat the veggies in the dressing just before serving or using in a muffaletta sandwich. Serve cold.
- Olive salad can also be served in a muffaletta sandwich, mixed with lettuce and provolone cheese for a muffaletta salad, as a crostini along with goat cheese and prosciutto, or with cream cheese and parmesan cheese in a savory palmier.
- If you’re in a hurry, use a food processor to chop up the ingredients.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this olive salad recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: olive salad, muffaletta sandwich