We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission.
Are you craving seafood? How about trying crab soup for dinner tonight? In under 45 minutes, you can be savoring a hot bowlful of this delicious tempting food.
Is this recipe a bisque or a chowder?
It is a little bit of both, but it more closely resembles a chowder.
What is the difference between a bisque and a chowder?
Bisque is a seafood soup that meets the following requirements:
- made with shellfish broth
- thickened with rice or the seafood shells
- contains wine and cream
- is generously seasoned
- is blended smooth
Chowders have some distinguishing features:
- thickened with potatoes
- chunky in texture
- have milk or cream
- contain veggies and seafood
- it is a stew
How many calories are in this recipe?
For a one cup serving size, there is 331 calories and 9.7g of carbs. This recipe is also high in calcium and vitamin A. For more nutritional information, scroll past the recipe card.
How to Make
Gather all your ingredients. Chop up the celery and onions then grate the cheese.
Heat up the butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, then saute the onions and celery.
Sprinkle on the flour over top of the onion mixture and cook for a couple of minutes while constantly whisking.
Next, reduce the heat to medium and whisk in the fish or seafood stock for a more earthy flavor.
Pour in the milk and cream making sure not to let it boil.
Add the crab meat, sherry, then season with spices. Heat through on medium low, then serve warm.
Craving something creamy? You’ll want to try these other delicious recipes, too.
The pleasure of a 5 star review would be greatly appreciated.Print
This low carb crab soup recipe is super easy and extra creamy. Forget ordering it at a restaurant—now you can make classic crab soup at home anytime. You’ll be serving this for dinner whenever the craving hits because it is really simple and fast.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (58g)
- 1 cup sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, finely diced (roughly 3 large stalks) (about 185g)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (22g)
- 2 cups fish or seafood stock (480 ml)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (240 ml)
- 1 cup whole milk (240 ml)
- 1 pound white crabmeat (453g)
- 1/4 cup sherry (60 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (100g)
- 1/2 cup green onion, tops only, chopped
- dash of paprika
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Saute the onion and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, then pour in the seafood stock, whisking continuously until smooth.
- Lower the heat to medium, then slowly add the heavy cream while whisking. Do the same with the whole milk.
- Stir in the white crab meat, sherry, and spices. Turn the heat down to medium low to allow it to simmer. Heat through, then adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot, and garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese, sliced green onion, and paprika.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crab soup, canned crab recipes, seafood soup