Are you craving seafood? How about trying crab soup for dinner tonight? In under 45 minutes, you can be savoring a hot bowlful of this delicious soup. You might be surprised to find out it is high in protein, calcium, and vitamin A.
Is crab soup a bisque or a chowder?
It is a little bit of both but it more closely resembles a chowder.
What is the difference between a bisque and a chowder?
Bisque is a seafood soup that meets the following requirements:
- made with shellfish broth
- thickened with rice or the seafood shells
- contains wine and cream
- is generously seasoned
- is blended smooth
Chowders have some distinguishing features:
- thickened with potatoes
- chunky in texture
- have milk or cream
- contain veggies and seafood
- is a stew, not a soup
How do you make crab soup?
Saute the vegetables in butter.
Add flour to the veggies to start a roux.
Whisk in fish or seafood stock for an earthy flavor.
Pour in the milk and cream.
Add the crab and sherry, then season with spices. Heat through, then serve warm.
I encourage you to try our tasty crab soup recipe. You’ll be delighted at how easy it is!
You’ll want to try these other delicious soup recipes, too.
- Clam Chowder: a flavor-packed stew that can easily be made ahead.
- Sweet Corn Chowder: an extra creamy and utterly delicious way to enjoy fresh corn.
- Dill Pickle Soup: a tangy potato soup from Poland that tastes fabulous with a slice of rye bread.
Please leave a review or a comment if you made this recipe. We’d be so pleased!Print
This low carb crab soup recipe is super easy and extra creamy. Forget ordering it at a restaurant—now you can make classic crab soup at home anytime. You’ll be serving this for dinner whenever the craving hits because it is really simple and fast.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (58g)
- 1 cup sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, finely diced (roughly 3 large stalks) (about 185g)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (22g)
- 2 cups fish or seafood stock (480 ml)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (240 ml)
- 1 cup whole milk (240 ml)
- 1 pound white crabmeat (453g)
- 1/4 cup sherry (60 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (100g)
- 1/2 cup green onion, tops only, chopped
- dash of paprika
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Saute the onion and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, then pour in the seafood stock, whisking continuously until smooth.
- Lower the heat to medium, then slowly add the heavy cream while whisking. Do the same with the whole milk.
- Stir in the white crab meat, sherry, and spices. Turn the heat down to medium low so the soup is simmering. Heat through, then adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot, and garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese, sliced green onion, and paprika.
Keywords: crab soup, canned crab recipes, seafood soup