We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission.
Addicted to Chipotle Mexican Grill’s famous honey vinaigrette? Satisfy your craving at home with our copycat dressing recipe. It comes together in minutes and will be the crowning touch on your next salad.
Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
Chipotle uses these ingredients in their famous honey vinaigrette. Unfortunately, they don’t tell you the amount of each ingredient, so that where the fun begins. By experimenting and taste testing, you can achieve a pretty close match. For this recipe, we used the industry standard of 3:1 oil to vinegar so the vinegar isn’t too strong.
- Red wine vinegar
- Adobo sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- Rice bran oil
What does Chipotle honey vinaigrette taste like?
It tastes smoky from the chipotles and the adobo sauce, and a bit sweet from the honey. It has a bit of a zing from the vinegar. Overall, this dressing is not only a gorgeous color, it is very delicious, so you’ll have to use self control if you’re on a diet.
What are the nutrition facts for this recipe?
A serving size of 2 tablespoons has 103 calories, 10.5g of fat, and 2.4g of carbs. For more nutritional information, scroll to the end of the recipe card.
Is this dressing Whole 30, Keto, Gluten free and Paleo friendly?
This dressing is not Whole 30 compliant because it contains honey. Substitute dates for the honey to make it Whole30. Unfortunately, the dressing at Chipotle Mexican Grill isn’t keto or paleo friendly either, because the carb content is too high, but if you make our recipe it has much lower carbs 2.4 g for a 2 tablespoon serving. On the plus side, this dressing is gluten free, as it contains no wheat.
Why is this recipe not vegan?
This recipe contains 1/3 cup of raw honey, and most vegans don’t want to eat honey because it’s an animal product. To make this recipe vegan, replace the honey with the agave nectar or a vegan honey alternative.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this ahead of time, but it’s best if it is use it within 24 hours. If you plan on making this the night before, store in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. When ready to use, give the jar a good shake.
What else can I do with this recipe?
This recipe tastes amazing as a salad dressing, but you can also use it for a meat marinade for chicken. Let the chicken marinade for 30 minutes to overnight in the fridge, then grill or cook in a cast iron skillet. It also tastes great poured on roasted vegetables, cooked chicken, or tacos.
How do you make a Chipotle keto lifestyle bowl at home?
- Line the plate with supergreens: baby kale, baby spinach and hand cut Romaine.
- Add the fajita veggies.
- Add your protein (chicken or steak).
- Add the fresh tomato salsa (mild), or the tomatillo-red salsa (hot).
- Sprinkle on some coarsely grated Monetary Jack cheese.
- Put a big spoonful of guac in the center.
- Drizzle on the honey vinaigrette. Note: to make this keto, you’ll have to skip the dressing because of the carbs.
How to Make
Gather all the ingredients. Measure out the red wine vinegar, raw honey, adobo sauce, chipotle peppers, dried spices, and olive oil. Either slice, chop, or mince the garlic.
Add the red wine vinegar and the dried spices to a food processor or high powered blender.
Next, add the garlic, adobo sauce, and the chipotle peppers.
Add the honey next. Use a greased measuring cup to make cleanup easier.
Put the lid on and process until the dressing is smooth. Finish it off by drizzling in the olive oil while the motor is still running. This will help emulsify the vinaigrette.
The dressing should be smooth and emulsified.
This recipe makes 2 cups.
Use right away or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Serve and enjoy with your favorite salad ingredients from Chipotle. Pictured here is a copycat version of their supergreens (baby kale, spinach, Romaine), fajita veggies, chicken, tomato salsa, guac, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Want it more tangy? Add a splash of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Want to increase the heat? Add 1 or 2 more chipotle peppers.
- Can’t find Mexican oregano? Use Italian oregano.
- Can’t find adobo sauce? Try using tomato paste, ACV, chipotle powder, cumin, and a pinch of oregano, garlic and salt.
- Need this vegan? Sub out the honey for agave nectar or a vegan honey alternative.
- Need this Whole30? Sub out the honey for dates.
- Use adobo sauce and the chipotle peppers; these ingredients provide the smokiness this dressing needs.
- Use any neutral oil. Chipotle uses rice bran oil.
- Coat the measuring cup with oil before pouring the honey in and you’ll have less mess.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to customize it.
Love Chipotle? Here’s our other Chipotle copycat recipes.
Want other salad recipes?
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
Our copycat Chipotle honey vinaigrette recipe is a healthy dressing that is vegetarian and gluten free, and is inspired by Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurants. It’s quick and easy to make at home with oil and vinegar and spices. It’s sweet, savory, smoky, and downright delicious!
- Add all the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a food processor and blend.
- With the motor still running, slowly pour in the olive oil until it emulsifies with the other ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Use a plastic spatula to get the dressing all out of the food processor. Pour into a mason jar and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s best to consume all the dressing within 48 hours for the best taste.
- Coat the measuring cup with some oil before pouring the honey in and it will slip out without a mess.
- Don’t substitute the adobo sauce and the chipotle peppers. They provide the smokiness.
- Don’t have olive oil? Use any neutral oil.
- Don’t forget to taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
- Shake well before serving if the dressing has separated.
- Category: Dressing
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chipotle, salad dressing, vegan option