Don’t you just love fresh summer corn? Pick up some fresh corn and use it to make sweet corn chowder.
What is the classic base of corn chowder?
Traditionally, corn chowder starts with butter as the fat, but you can use olive oil or bacon grease.
All good chowders start with cooking aromatic vegetables. The French have a blend of aromatic vegetables (onions, celery, and carrots), which they call mirepoix. The Creole have their ‘holy trinity,’ which consists of onions, celery and green pepper.
This corn chowder gets its flavor base from sauteing onions, celery, and garlic in unsalted butter. Then fresh thyme leaves are stirred in and cooked for one minute to release more flavor.
What is the best method to slice the kernels off a cob of corn?
Place a small bowl that has a rim on the bottom upside down inside of a larger bowl. Rest the bottom of a shucked corncob inside of the rim of the small bowl. Using a sharp chef’s knife, slice the kernels off the cob, cutting top to bottom. The loose kernels should be contained in the larger bowl, reducing the mess. Rotate the cob and repeat until all the kernels are sliced off the cob.
How can I thicken up corn chowder?
- Use flour. Whisk it into a small bowl of broth before putting it in the soup pot. This will help prevent clumping and will help it dissolve evenly into the soup.
- Use potatoes. Boil the potatoes in the chowder for at least 7 minutes. This will release starch from the potatoes, which will thicken the soup and make it creamier.
- Make a slurry with cornmeal and water. Whisk them together in a small bowl, then add it to the chowder.
How can I make soup or chowder creamier?
- Add cream, half and half, or whole milk.
- Puree a few cups of the chowder, then add back into the soup.
- Add yogurt. It will also make it tangier.
- Stir in coconut milk. Start with 1/4 cup, then taste.
It’s summertime and fresh corn is in abundance. I encourage you to try this recipe for sweet corn chowder. Serve it with homemade jalapeño cornbread that is fresh from the oven.
You’ll love these other delicious soup recipes, too.
- Clam Chowder: a creamy soup packed with flavor from bacon, veggies, spices, and clams.
- Healthy Carrot Ginger Soup: a low carb, nutrient-rich vegetarian soup with coconut milk.
- Detox Moroccan Lentil Stew: sweet potatoes, tomatoes, lentils, and spinach make this healthy vegan soup.
Did you make this sweet corn chowder? Please leave a recipe rating and share how you liked it.Print
Sweet corn chowder is a creamy summer soup made with fresh sweet corn, cream, potatoes, fresh veggies, and chicken stock. Your family will love this easy, healthy-ish meal throughout the summer!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped (2 large ribs)
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped (1 large onion)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (2 large cloves)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (6 cobs of corn)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock, low sodium, fat free
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cob of corn with kernels cut off
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and celery and cook until soft and tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, roughly two minutes. Sprinkle in the fresh thyme leaves, then stir and cook for one minute.
- If using fresh corn, husk the cob of corn, then cut the corn off the cob. To do this, set a small bowl upside down inside a larger bowl. Stand the cob of corn upright with one hand. With your other hand, use a large chef’s knife to cut the kernels off the cob starting at the top and cutting down the cob. The kernels should fall into the large bowl.
- Add the fresh corn and 1 teaspoon salt to the veggies. Mix well and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables, and mix until well combined.
- Pour in the chicken stock and whisk until smooth. Add the potatoes, black pepper, bay leaves and cob of corn, then stir. Cover and bring to a boil for 7 minutes, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add the heavy cream and stir until combined. Adjust seasonings to taste. Cook until warmed through. Garnish with chopped chives and/or fresh thyme leaves. Serve immediately.
- If you would like more protein, add two strips of crumbled bacon to the soup at the end.
- Other garnishes can be grated cheddar cheese or charred jalapenos.
- Corn chowder tastes wonderful with freshly made jalapeno cornbread.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn chowder