Are you looking for ways to use up fresh corn on the cob? Try our oven roasted kernel corn recipe! It's a twist on boiled or grilled corn and tastes a little spicy with a hint of lime.
- Corn: fresh white or yellow sweet corn
- Fat: olive oil
- Dried spices: make your own Chipotle lime seasoning
- Lime: freshly squeezed lime juice
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Is roasted kernel corn healthy?
Roasted kernel corn is a nutritious and healthy side dish. This recipe uses fresh cut off the cob yellow corn with a little bit of olive oil, spices, and freshly squeezed lime juice. There is only ½ teaspoon of salt added to the 6 cups of corn, so the sodium levels remain fairly low.
Can you roast frozen corn?
Yes, you can if you are in a pinch or it is winter time and fresh corn isn't available. If you plan on using frozen corn, take the time to thaw it out, then pat it dry with a paper towel to remove some of the extra moisture. You will also have to increase the cooking time, because frozen corn has more moisture than fresh corn.
What are the nutritional benefits for this recipe?
For a ½ cup serving size, there are 207 calories, and 32.1 g. The vitamin C is also high and there is 0% cholesterol. For other nutritional benefits, scroll to the end of the recipe card.
Can you make this recipe in a skillet?
Yes, you can but you'll have a little different end result. If your oven is being used, or it's just too hot to use it because there's a heat wave, this recipe can be adapted to use in two 10 inch skillets. In each skillet, use 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 cups of fresh kernel corn.
Cook over medium high heat for the first 5 minutes, then reduce to medium low for the last 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until you have the desired color - brown with slightly charred bits.
Can you make this recipe in advance?
Yes, you can make this up to 24 hours in advance, but it does taste the best when it is eaten within 30 minutes of being out of the oven.
What can I serve this with?
- Roasted kernel corn tastes great when served with other grilled meats.
- It can be used as a topping for tacos or nachos.
- It also tastes amazing in Mexican corn in a cup or esquites.
- You can also use it for Mexican corn dip or a corn salad.
How to Make
First, gather the ingredients for the homemade chipotle lime seasoning: chipotle chili powder, lime zest, cumin, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, sugar and cayenne pepper.
Put them in a small bowl and mix well with a spoon. This recipe makes 2 tablespoons. Once mixed, store in a small airtight container.
Next, gather all the ingredients for the roasted corn: olive oil, freshly squeezed lime juice, dried spices, and corn on the cob.
Start by husking and removing the silk from the cobs of corn, then rinse them. One technique for keeping the mess to a minimum when cutting corn kernels off the cob is to place an upside down bowl inside a larger bowl.
Place the larger end of the cob on the small bowl. Starting at the top of the cob, slice down to remove the kernels. Rotate the cob and repeat until all the kernels are cut of the cobs of corn.
You should get 4 cups of corn from 6 cobs.
Add the olive oil to the corn kernels.
Next, add the dried spices.
Stir until well combined.
Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a large rimmed baking tray with foil. Spread the corn out evenly and place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes of cooking, take out the tray and stir to mix it up for more evenly roasted kernels. Place back in the oven for another 15 to 25 minutes.
Once the corn is done to your liking, take out the corn and stir it around.
You will notice the corn has been reduced from 4 cups to 2 cups during the roasting process.
To brighten the flavor of the roasted corn, add freshly squeezed lime juice.
Taste the corn, and if necessary, add a pinch of salt.
Stir and serve hot.
- This tastes best when you use fresh corn instead of frozen.
- This turns out better when it is roasted in the oven instead of pan fried.
Other Veggie Side Dishes
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!
Oven Roasted Kernel Corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ears fresh corn, 4 cups of kernels
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili lime seasoning, see notes for recipe
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Set a small bowl upside down inside of a larger bowl. Place the large end of one husked corn cob on top of the small bowl and use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off of the cob. Turn the cob and repeat until all the kernels are cut off, then repeat with the other cobs. All the kernels should be caught inside of the bowl.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add the olive oil, chipotle chili lime seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to the bowl of corn kernels and stir until well combined.
- Spread out the corn evenly on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until it's the color you want. Make sure to stir when the kernels are halfway done.
- Sprinkle the corn with salt and pour on the lime juice, stir until blended, then serve hot.
- Chipotle Lime Seasoning: mix together 1 ½ teaspoons chipotle powder, 1 teaspoon lime zest, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon coriander, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Makes 2 tablespoons or 13g. Store is a small airtight container.
Serving sizes and nutritional information are only an estimate and may vary from your results.