Pecan and orange cranberry relish is a side dish that goes fantastic with roast turkey. I started serving this relish on Thanksgiving over a decade ago, and it has been popular at our household ever since.
I’ve added a few more ingredients to the classic 4 ingredient recipe. Minced jalapenos and fresh grated ginger give it some kick. The citrus taste has been intensified with the addition of freshly squeezed lime juice and orange zest. White sugar makes this whole dish more palatable, and you can adjust the sweetness depending upon your tastes. Please chill the relish for a minimum of two hours to let the flavors meld together. To give the relish some crunch, add toasted pecans just before serving. Finish this festive-looking relish with grated orange peel and mint ribbons. If you are a big fan of mint, like me, feel free to add more mint to your individual serving. 🌿
Cranberry orange pecan relish can be served on Thanksgiving or Christmas instead of a salad. It also tastes great the next day on turkey leftover sandwiches. This versatile dish can also be served up as an appetizer with cream cheese on a toasted baguette. Add this recipe to your holiday menu this year, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how refreshing it is!
A refreshing salad that tastes fantastic with a roasted turkey, making it good for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’s easy to make, and tastes delicious even the next day.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 lime, juice only
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, cut in ribbons
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, reserved some for garnish
- In a food processor, pour in the cranberries and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Peel and section the oranges. Cut each section into 6 or 7 pieces.
- In a small fry pan, toast the whole pecans in 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat until nicely browned. Stir them constantly for about three minutes. Let cool, then chop into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cranberries, oranges, red onion, jalapeno, ginger, lime juice, and sugar. Stir well. Adjust seasonings for taste. If necessary, add more sugar or fresh lime juice.
- Cover the relish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Just before serving, add the toasted pecans, mint ribbons, and orange zest. Mix well. Sprinkle the reserved orange zest on top.
- Serve chilled.
- The beauty of this recipe is it can be made up to two days in advance. Just add the pecans, mint and orange zest just before serving.
- The white sugar can be reduced to 1/2 cup or replaced with 1/3 cup agave nectar or honey.
Keywords: raw cranberry, jalapeno