We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Creamy red cabbage casserole is served as a main dish in our house. The extra sharp white cheddar cheese combined with the homemade white sauce give this side dish some substance and a real comfort food taste. The sweet onion and butter provide the flavoring, and the mayo and whole milk makes it creamy. Buttered corn flakes provide just enough crunch to make this a truly satisfying casserole.
The real reason I bought the red cabbage was to cook up some of the leaves to make cabbage water for Beth’s science experiment on chemical reactions. Apparently, cabbage water has a substance called anthocyanin which can be used in chemistry experiments. Just a bit of trivia I thought I’d share with you all.
Emma tried out a new technique for this ingredients photo. She decided to write on the backboard and we both loved the effect. She continued to move the eight mini ramekins around on the black board to get a different process photo, but this time she added her impeccable cursive handwriting.
This creamy red cabbage casserole is built up in layers, so it looks wonderful when cooked in an oval glass dish.
I encourage you to try this recipe when you are looking for a meatless main course. You’ll be glad you did.Print
Creamy red cabbage casserole is full of cheese, white sauce, mayo, milk and butter to give this dish a creamy texture. The corn flakes on top make this easy casserole even more delicious!
For the Casserole
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup whole milk
For the White Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
Making the White Sauce
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour while whisking.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Gradually add the milk.
- Whisk until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
Making the Casserole
- Shred 4 cups of red cabbage.
- Chop onion, then cook in butter over medium high heat until lightly browned.
- Crush corn flakes in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin.
- In the bottom of your casserole dish, sprinkle half of the crushed corn flakes.
- Place the shredded red cabbage next, followed by the cooked onion.
- Pour 4 Tbsp of melted butter over the the cabbage and onion.
- Blend the mayo with the white sauce, adding more milk if necessary.
- Pour the white sauce mixture over the cabbage.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Melt the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter and mix with rest of the crushed corn flakes.
- Sprinkle over top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 F.