We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
French grated carrot salad is a widely popular side dish in France. Carrot salad in the U.S. is typically made with mayo and raisins, so it is refreshing to learn how the French make their carrot salad. The secret to getting a good French grated salad is finely grating the carrots. Don’t bother using the pre-grated carrots from the grocery store, because they are often dried out and are cut too thickly. Your goal is to use freshly grated carrots since they will give off some juice and should be sweeter.
To achieve the best carrot salad, adjust the seasonings as you go. Overall, the flavors are subtle, so be careful not to be heavy handed with the Dijon or the oil. Grated carrot salad is also perfect to serve if you or a dinner guest is trying to lose weight as it is very low in calories. Pair this nutritious side with our low carb Italian sausage, peppers and onions, and a French baguette.
Looking for other recipes to serve with this carrot salad? Here’s some ones to try.
Low Carb Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions: this easy, high-protein dinner is packed with vitamin C.
Crusty Homemade Baguettes: learn how to make delicious crusty baguettes at home.
Easy Lime and Mint Refresher: a delightful drink that’s perfect for spring and summer weather.Print
French grated carrot salad is a healthy recipe that uses olive oil and lemon juice as the base for the dressing. This simple traditional salad uses freshly grated carrots, Dijon mustard, and fresh parsley to make an easy and refreshing side dish for your dinner tonight.
- 4 cups carrots, finely grated (from 8 large carrots)
- 1/2 cup, lemon juice, from 2 room-temperature lemons (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- about 3/4 cup flatleaf parsley, leaves only, chopped (about 8 sprigs)
- Wash and peel 8 large carrots, then cut off their tops and ends. Finely grate them with a box grater to get 4 cups, then set aside in a medium mixing bowl.
- Wash, dry, and halve two room-temperature lemons. Squeeze the juice both lemons and pour into a measuring cup. Reserve two tablespoons of lemon juice, then pour the remaining juice over the grated carrots. Mix well with salad tongs or with your hands.
- Mix in the next 5 ingredients and adjust seasonings to taste. Add the reserved lemon juice, if necessary. The carrot salad should be moist, but not overly juicy.
- Sprinkle on the fresh parsley and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready. If you plan on making this salad in advance, check the seasonings before serving.
- Room temperature lemons are easier to squeeze and yield more juice.
- If you choose not to use lemon juice, replace it with the juice of one orange, champagne vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
- If you would like to use other fresh herbs, you could try thyme or oregano.
- If you would like to add another vegetable, you could try shallots or spring onion.
- Don’t be tempted to buy the pre-grated carrots, since freshly grated carrots make the salad taste much better.