We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Cheesy, creamy, little bit of spicy…this buffalo chicken dip is one of the best football food snacks ever. It’s a 5-ingredient snack that takes just minutes to make. You’ll be the superhero of the Super Bowl party with this appetizer!
👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
What’s in this recipe?
The traditional version consists of shredded chicken, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese. The ranch adds flavor, the sauce adds spiciness, the cheese thickens it and makes it creamy, while the chicken adds lots of protein. Feel free to add additional spices or hot sauce to change things up.
Who invented buffalo chicken dip?
The origins of this snack aren’t clear. We do know that it’s a spinoff of buffalo wings, which were invented in 1964 by Teressa Bellissimo. She created the wings as a late-night snack for her son Dominic and his friends, and they eventually became very popular at their family-owned bar in Buffalo, New York. The locals started requesting the wings as well, and eventually they became a popular snack worldwide.
This appetizer is a nice way to enjoy the flavors of wings in a less messy format. It has the heat, the meaty protein, and the creaminess of the traditional blue cheese dressing served on the side with wings. Many recipes, like mine, use ranch dressing instead of blue cheese dressing, but feel free to use blue cheese if you like.
Why is my buffalo dip greasy?
It often becomes greasy when the oils from the sauce and the cheese begin to separate. While this doesn’t affect the flavor, it can make it look less appealing. This separation may be due to overcooking.
You can reduce the chances of separation by baking it for less time in the oven, or making it in the crockpot instead. The gentler heat of the crockpot (if it’s set to low) shouldn’t overheat it as easily.
How do you thicken the dip?
If it is runny, I’d recommend mixing in an extra cup or two of grated cheddar cheese and reheat it to melt the cheese. Melted cheese does thicken the liquid.
- Meat: instead of poached chicken breasts, use roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken. You can even use leftover turkey instead!
- Ranch Dressing: try sour cream, Greek yogurt, or blue cheese salad dressing.
- Cheddar Cheese: blue cheese crumbles or grated Monterey Jack cheese. Pepper jack also would be a tasty option.
What goes well with this?
There are several things that taste great dipped in this appetizer. Here’s some ideas to get you started!
- Celery or carrot sticks
- Tortilla chips
- Toasted baguette slices
- Bell pepper slices
How do you eat buffalo chicken dip?
Here are some delicious and creative ways to enjoy leftovers. Tell me in the comments on this blog post if you try one of them!
- Pour on French fries.
- Add to a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Toss with cooked pasta.
- Spread on crackers or eat with crudités.
- Use it as a filling for this garbage bread.
Can I reheat it?
Yes, you can reheat it in the microwave, the oven, or a crockpot. It’s best to reheat low and slow, as too much heat too quickly can cause the fat in the cheese to separate. Here’s how to do it with each method.
- Oven: bake in an oven-safe dish at 350 F for 10-15 minutes, or until hot.
- Crockpot: place in a slow cooker and turn on low for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Microwave: heat on high in 30 second intervals, stirring between each one, until hot.
How long is it good for?
It can keep for up to 1 week in the fridge. Keep it tightly covered with plastic wrap or inside of an airtight container to maintain freshness.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze this appetizer before or after it’s cooked. Place it in an airtight container or zip-top freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat the next day in the oven or crockpot.
How do you make buffalo chicken dip?
Gather the ingredients: shredded chicken, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese.
Beat the softened cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
Pour in the ranch dressing.
Pour in the buffalo sauce.
Beat the mixture together until smooth.
Dump in the chicken.
Add the shredded cheddar cheese.
Mix in the cheddar cheese and shredded chicken until evenly mixed.
Spread in a casserole dish or put in a crockpot.
Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or put the crockpot on low for 1-2 hours. It should be warm, and all the cheese should be melted.
- Short on time? Use rotisserie chicken.
- Make your own ranch and buffalo sauce for the best flavor. Everything tastes better when it’s made from scratch!
- Soften the cream cheese by letting it sit on the counter for an hour before using. Alternatively, remove the cream cheese from its foil wrap and microwave at 15 second intervals until softened.
- Make this recipe a little healthier by using reduced-fat cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Add more heat with hot sauce, cayenne pepper, diced jalapeños, or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Make this vegetarian by using chickpeas or roasted cauliflower.
- Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Making this for a party? Serve it in a crockpot set to warm.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools for This Recipe
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Hot Sauce: this is hot sauce has the right amount of spiciness.
- Hamilton Beach Electric Mixer: this workhorse is an affordable alternative to a stand mixer.
- Silicone Spatulas: scrape out every last bit of food from the bowl with these flexible spatulas.
- Glass Casserole Dish: this is the perfect dish for baking and serving this appetizer.
Be the MVP of the Super Bowl party with these crowd-pleasing dips.
- Jalapeño Popper Dip: this bacon-loaded app has lots of heat and a wonderful creamy texture.
- Pimento Cheese Spread: this creamy Southern spread is perfect for sandwiches or crackers.
The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.Print
Buffalo chicken dip is a super easy, crowd pleasing appetizer that’s perfect for game night, Christmas, New Years, or anytime you’re having a party! This appetizer can be baked or made in a crockpot. The football fans at your house will love this spicy, creamy snack for the Super Bowl!
- Beat the softened cream cheese with a handheld electric mixer until smooth. Dump in the ranch dressing and buffalo sauce and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the grated cheese and shredded chicken until evenly mixed.
- Crockpot Method: place the dip in a 5-quart slow cooker, cover, and keep on low for 1-2 hours, until the dip is warm and melted.
- Oven Method: spread the dip in a casserole dish and bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
- Stir the dip, then serve warm with tortilla chips, crackers, or celery sticks.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crockpot buffalo chicken dip, buffalo chicken dip tasty