Vegan walnut taco meat is an easy recipe that's packed with delicious Mexican flavors and is plant based, gluten, and dairy free. It requires simple ingredients, and cooks up in 20 minutes. Learn how to make the best fake meat with walnuts, mushrooms, and sun dried tomatoes.
Walnut Taco Meat
- 4 cups walnuts (453g)
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (52g)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 10 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped (60g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (57g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water, or more if needed (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (60 ml)
- 6-inch tortillas, corn or flour
- guacamole (see notes)
- chipotle corn salsa (see notes)
- black bean spread (see notes)
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- pickled red onions
- pickled jalapenos
- avocado slices
- cilantro lime dressing (see notes)
Walnut Taco Meat
- Soak the walnuts in cold water for 18 to 20 minutes, then drain. Soak the sun dried tomatoes in warm water for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Melt the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the sliced mushrooms until they have turned brown, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat up the olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Process the walnuts in a food processor until they are small and have a texture that you like. Don't over process, as they can turn to nut butter. Once the walnuts are the texture you want, place them in the skillet.
- Clean out the food processor, then process the sauteed mushrooms and soaked sun dried tomatoes. Use a plastic spatula to help scrape down the sides. Place them in the large skillet with the walnuts.
- Add the coconut aminos, spices, and 1/4 cup of water to the pan of nuts. Stir and cook for 8 minutes over medium low heat. If necessary, add more water. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Serve with Tex-Mex foods like tacos, burritos, nachos, salads and on top of a baked potato or sweet potato.
Making the Tacos
- Spread a spoonful of guacamole on a small tortilla to help hold the ingredients together. Top with 1/4 cup of walnut taco meat, chipotle corn salsa, cherry tomatoes, black bean spread, an avocado slice, pickled jalapenos, pickled red onion, and a drizzle of cilantro lime dressing.
- For the recipes below, taste and adjust seasonings as you go.
- Guacamole: mashed avocados, lime juice, salt, cumin, onion, cilantro, and garlic
- Chipotle Corn Salsa: olive oil, frozen corn toasted in skillet, red onion, jalapenos, roasted poblano, cilantro, lime juice, coriander, salt, and pepper
- Cilantro Lime Dressing: cilantro, avocado, lime juice, jalapeno, lime zest, garlic, honey, EVOO, salt and pepper
- Black Bean Spread: black beans, lime juice, cumin, garlic, and water
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan taco meat, mushroom walnut taco meat, vegan Mexican recipe