Vegetable stir fry with orange sauce is a healthy recipe that is perfect for your busiest weeknight meals. This easy one pot meal is served over rice and is vegetarian and vegan friendly. When you're craving Chinese, make this quick and simple stir fry for your family to enjoy.
For the Brown Rice
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice (336g)
- 4 cups water (945 ml)
- 1 tablespoon butter (14g)
For the Orange Sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (177 ml)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (20g)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 4 teaspoons sugar (17g)
For the Stir Fry
- 1/4 cup light olive oil (60 ml)
- 3 cups red bell pepper, cut in 1 inch slices (295g)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and cut in thin diagonal slices (270g)
- 3 cups broccoli florets (190g)
- 1 green onions, cut in 1 inch diagonal slices (45g)
- 2 zucchinis, sliced in 1/4 inch coins (500g)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish
Cooking the Rice
- Put the water in a 2-quart pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Stir in some salt until dissolved, then mix in the rice and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 35 minutes with the lid askew, or until all the water is absorbed.
- Take the pot off the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter.
Making the Orange Sauce
- Whisk together the soy sauce, orange juice, cornstarch, sugar, and orange zest in a small bowl until blended.
Cooking the Stir Fry
- Heat the oil in two large saucepans or a wok over high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for 6 minutes. Always stirring as you want to keep the vegetables moving so they don't burn.
- Whisk the orange sauce, as the cornstarch will settle to the bottom of the bowl. Make a hole in the middle of the vegetables and pour the sauce into the hole. Let it bubble and thicken up for a few seconds.
- Mix the orange sauce in with the rest of vegetables and cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Serve the stir fry hot over warm brown rice. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- If you are planning on serving this with rice, start the rice first, so it's done at the same time.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: healthy vegetable stir fry, what vegetables go in stir fry