Vegan ramen with vegetables is an easy recipe with a spicy savory broth that comes together quickly. Learn how to make the real stuff at home using healthy, pantry staple ingredients. It's slurp worthy and gluten free!
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (15 ml)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced (130g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (33g)
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos or soy sauce (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon mirin (15 ml)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (950 ml)
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced (140g)
- 2 cups red bell pepper, sliced (265g)
- 4 cups bok choy leaves, chopped (150g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste if needed
- 1 cup carrot ribbons, made with vegetable peeler (72g)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (72g)
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (23g)
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, optional
- 4 cakes of gluten-free ramen noodles (buckwheat, black, or brown rice)
- Heat up the oil for 2 minutes in a 10 inch skillet, then saute the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Add the sesame seeds and the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, then deglaze the skillet by pouring in 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and scraping the brown bits off the bottom with a wooden turner.
- Add the soy sauce and mirin, stir, then add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Add the red peppers and cook for 2 minutes, then deglaze the skillet again with 1/2 cup of vegetable broth.
- Pour in the rest of the vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the broth simmers, cook the ramen noodles according to the package. Drain and rinse with cold water. Using kitchen shears, cut the ramen into shorter lengths.
- Add the bok choy leaves to the broth and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the broth from the heat and the salt and stir it in. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- To assemble, place with the ramen noodles in a bowl and ladle on the broth. Then add the mushrooms, red pepper, and bok choy leaves. Finish the noodle bowl with raw carrot ribbons, bean sprouts, thinly sliced green onion, and a sprinkle of black sesame seeds.
- Use all three aromatics: onion, garlic, ginger.
- To get the maximum flavor, deglaze the skillet twice.
- Use kitchen shears to cut the cooked ramen noodles.
- Use cooked and raw vegetables for interesting texture and bold color.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Japanese ramen vegetables, common vegetables in ramen