Grandma’s turkey stuffing recipe is easy, traditional, and perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This savory stuffing is made with veggies and is simple to make ahead. Bake this homemade, old fashioned stuffing in a buttered casserole dish for delicious side dish!
- 1 loaf French bread, torn into bite-size pieces (10 cups) (390g)
- 5 tablespoons salted butter (70g)
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped (232g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cup celery, finely diced (223g)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock (600 ml)
- Tear up the French bread into small bite-sized pieces to get 10 cups.
- Spread the bread cubes on two 11×17-inch cookie sheets to air dry overnight, or toast them in a 400 F oven on separate racks for 10 minutes. If your bread pieces are larger, stir, rotate pans, and toast 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the mushrooms for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.
- Saute the onion and celery over medium high heat for 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, roughly 30 seconds.
- Stir the spices into the onion mixture and cook for 1 minute to bloom the spices. Remove the onion mixture from the pan.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and pour 1/2 cup of chicken stock into the skillet. Deglaze the pan by scraping the browned bits off of the bottom with a wooden turner.
- Put the toasted bread cubes in a very large bowl and add the onion mixture and mushrooms. Mix together with your hands.
- Pour 2 cups of chicken stock into the mixture and use your hands to mix it until the bread cubes are moist, but not soggy. If needed, add the last 1/2 cup of stock to the stuffing.
- Butter a 9×13-inch casserole dish, then spread the stuffing inside.
- Cook at 400 F for 30 minutes covered with aluminum foil, then remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this turkey stuffing recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy turkey stuffing, turkey stuffing from scratch