Creamy turkey stroganoff is an easy weeknight meal for families and kids. In under one hour, you can serve this simple comfort food for dinner tonight. It’s great for using up turkey leftover and gravy from Thanksgiving and Christmas. Make it in your skillet and serve over noodles for a winning dinner every time.
For the Stroganoff Sauce
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (43g)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced (226g)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup flavorful turkey gravy, reduced (236 ml)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded turkey, a mixture of white and dark (460g)
- 2 cups sour cream (440g)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock or filtered water (118 ml)
For the Egg Noodles
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles (170g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Garnish
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (26g)
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley (40g)
- Reduce the turkey gravy by boiling it down to intensify the flavor.
- Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms and onions in butter until soft. Add the garlic at the end and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the gravy and spices to the mushroom mixture and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the shredded turkey and simmer until heated through.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream until well mixed. Stir in the chicken stock or filtered water a little at a time to thin the sauce as desired. Adjust the seasonings by adding more salt, pepper, or thyme to taste.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil, then add the egg noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and rinse the noodles, then toss them with a little olive oil so they don't stick together.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese. Rinse the parsley, then pat it dry with paper towel and chop it finely with a sharp knife.
- To serve, spoon 2/3 cup of sauce over a pile of egg noodles. Garnish with fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
- Use ground turkey or roasted chicken if you don't have leftover turkey.
- Serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini noddles if you want to make it low carb.
- Make gravy with equal parts butter and flour then add chicken stock and spices.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stroganoff, turkey leftovers