Sicilian tuna salad sandwich is a family friendly recipe that is great for a party or a picnic. Learn how to make this gourmet healthy sandwich in minutes. Packed with protein, roasted red peppers, arugula, and olive tapenade this stunning lunch idea has no mayo. Try this Mediterranean twist on an American classic.
- Cut the ends off of the bread, then cut in half lengthwise. Rip out some of the bread from the top and bottom slices. This will hollow out the bread a little, making more room for the fillings. Keep the ripped out bread pieces for snacks, breadcrumbs, or croutons.
- Brush both halves of the bread with olive oil, then spread the pieces evenly with olive tapenade.
- Add a generous amount of Sicilian tuna salad to the bottom half of the sandwich.
- Lay the strips of roasted red pepper in rows on top of the tuna salad. Blot the peppers with a paper towel to get rid of extra moisture, then top with the arugula.
- Carefully place the top of the bread on of the sandwich. Gently press down on the sandwich with both hands and insert bamboo skewers every 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, slice. This sandwich can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 hours. Eat within 24 hours for best results.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this Sicilian tuna salad sandwich recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tuna sandwich without mayo, Sicilian tuna salad sandwich