Alfredo basil sauce is an easy recipe that is creamy, cheesy, and so simple to learn how to make. With the help of some garlic, Parmesan, heavy cream and fresh basil, you'll have a restaurant quality sauce that tastes amazing on fettuccine or tortellini.
For the Basil Alfredo Sauce
- 2 tablespoons green onions, white part only, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine (60 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (355 ml)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock (120 ml)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (95g)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Pasta & Garnish
- 20 ounces three cheese tortellini (565g)
- 1 or 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (25g)
Cooking the Pasta & Tomatoes
- Cook the tortellini. Boil the tortellini in a large pot of salted water according to instructions on the package. Reserve some pasta water, then drain the pasta and rinse it with cold water.
- Roast the tomatoes. Preheat the oven to 450 F and line a small baking tray with foil. Rinse the grape tomatoes and spread them out on the tray. Bake for 9 minutes, or until very soft.
Making the Basil Alfredo Sauce
- Saute veggies. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter then saute the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Make a roux. Reduce the heat to medium, then sprinkle on the flour and whisk it in for a couple of minutes to let it cook off the raw taste.
- Add the liquids. Whisk in some white wine, and cook off the alcohol for a minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the heavy cream until smooth, then add the chicken stock and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Thicken the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then mix in the chopped basil. If it needs thickening, pour in 1 to 2 tablespoons of pasta water. Remember, the sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Season the sauce. Sprinkle with some black pepper and garnish with mini basil leaves.
- Mix and serve. Gently stir the cooked tortellini into the sauce until it's evenly coated in the alfredo. Add the roasted tomatoes and serve.
- Don't use pre-grated Parmesan, use freshly grated.
- Use the stovetop on a low temperature to reheat. If microwaved, the dish will become oily and will separate.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tortellini pasta recipes, tortellini cream sauce