Spicy tofu crumbles is an easy vegan recipe to use for taco Tuesdays. Learn how to make this healthy and gluten free dinner idea that is baked in your oven. You'll soon be enjoying spicy, crispy Mexican ground beef that is kid approved.
- 14 ounces extra firm organic tofu (300g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (10g)
- Pressing. Lay folded paper towel on a large cutting board, then place the block of tofu on top. Place more folded paper towel on top of the tofu, then place a large cast iron skillet with a 5 or 10 pound bag of sugar on top of the tofu. Let it press for 30 minutes.
- Crumbling. Use your hands to crumble the tofu into small pieces on top of a paper towel lined cutting board. Lay a layer on paper towel on top of the crumbled tofu and gently press out extra moisture.
- Seasoning. Mix the dry spices together in a small bowl. Pour the olive oil, soy sauce alternative, the dry spices, and the nutritional yeast into a large bowl and mix together with a spoon. Add the tofu crumbles and mix together with your hands.
- Cooking. Preheat the oven to 350 F, then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread out the tofu crumbles and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring after the first 15 minutes. Watch more closely during the last 5 minutes. The meat is done when it's browned and slightly crispy, but still chewy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: spicy tofu crumbles, crispy tofu