Vegan Thai red curry is an easy recipe that can get Thai comfort food on the table fast. It tastes better than takeout, and the sauce is loaded with rich, bold flavors. Serve this gluten and dairy free recipe with rice, ramen, or noodles.
For the Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (15 ml)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (132g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (20g)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced in 2-inch strips (100g)
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, sliced in 2-inch strips (100g)
- 1 cup carrots, cut in matchsticks (100g)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (60g)
- 1 cup baby corn, canned rinsed well (140g)
- 1 cup bok choy stems, chopped (85g)
- 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, unsweetened (415 ml)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth (180 ml)
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos or soy sauce (15 ml)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar (10 ml)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (30 ml)
- 3 1/2 cups bok choy leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (45 ml)
For the Garnish
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium lime, quartered
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Drizzle of sriracha, optional
- Cook some jasmine rice according to the directions on package. Make enough to have 4 cups of cooked rice.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion until soft, roughly 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the Thai red curry paste, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Deglaze the pan by pouring in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and scraping off any browned bits from the pan with a wooden turner.
- Add the yellow and red bell pepper, carrots, bok choy stems, broccoli, and baby corn. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are more tender, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the coconut milk, 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, liquid aminos (soy sauce), rice vinegar and maple syrup. Stir, cover, and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add the bok choy leaves, then stir. Cook uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in 1 teaspoon of salt, then pour in 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve this vegan Thai red curry hot over jasmine rice, ramen, or rice noodles and garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes and drizzle on some sriracha if you like it spicy.
- Before you start cooking, have everything chopped and ready to go.
- For even cooking, cut the vegetables similar in size.
- To make a more filling dish, use 6 cups of vegetables, not including the greens.
- Aromatics (onion, garlic, and ginger) should be fresh, not dried or pre-minced.
- To release its fragrance, fry the red curry paste in oil.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Vegan Thai Red Curry Paste, Recipe