Thai red curry noodle soup is an easy, fast, flavorful soup that has a rich fragrant broth. Forget Thai takeout, make this healthy recipe right in your home and enjoy the tender bites of chicken. It's so cozy, comforting and fragrant.
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (134g)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red curry paste (38g)
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (1.42 liters)
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed (8g)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (15g)
- 8 ounces brown rice noodles (226g)
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (454g)
For the Garnishes
- 1/2 cup green onion, cut on the bias
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 8 lime wedges
- Sriracha sauce, to taste (optional)
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, then saute the onion for 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently with a bamboo spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the red curry paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, tamari, fish sauce, brown sugar. Stir and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- While it is simmering, boil the rice noodles for the lowest end of the cooking time, according to the package instructions. Drain well in a strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Remove the soup from the heat, if the fat rises to the top, skim it if desired, then stir in the lime zest, lime juice and the chili paste.
- When ready to serve, divide the noodles into each bowl and put 1/2 cup of shredded chicken. Ladle 1 cup of the hot Thai broth. Garnish with fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, lime wedges, and lime zest. If you want it spicy, add some sriracha sauce or chili flakes.
- Skim the fat off the top, if desired.
- When serving, add the cooked noodles to the bowl.
- When serving, add the shredded chicken on top of the noodles in each bowl.
- Have a crunch factor for at least one of the garnishes: green onions, bean sprouts, and peanuts.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai, recipe, noodle soup