Tex-Mex taco soup is an easy one pot meal that is quick to throw together. This simple recipe uses ground beef, beans, corn and tomatoes to make a comfort food soup that’s perfect for weeknight meals. Learn how to make this soup in the slow cooker or on the stove top. Garnish with corn tortilla chips, sour cream, and sliced jalapenos. This will be quickly be a family favorite.
For the Soup
- 2 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans chili beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 24-ounce jar of salsa
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 3 cups water (709 ml)
For the Garnish
- extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- green onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Brown the ground beef in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Dump the ground beef into a colander set over a medium-sized bowl and let the fat to drain.
- Put a couple tablespoons of the beef grease back into the pot. Heat the grease over medium high heat, then add the chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add the spices to the cooked onion mixture and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Mix in the cooked ground beef.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes with the their juices, the salsa, and the brown sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Drain and rinse the chili beans, black beans, and corn to help lower the sodium content. Stir them into the soup along with three cups of water.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium low and let it simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add more water or adjust the seasonings if necessary, then cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with a selection of Tex-Mex toppings.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this taco soup would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy dinner recipe, slow cooker recipe, taco soup