Sweet sunrise with a twist is an easy non alcoholic beverage that’s perfect for summer brunch or for your friends that love fruity mocktails. It can be made to order or in a party-sized pitcher for a crowd. You will be impressed with how simple it is to make!
For the Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
For the Beverage
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sparkling lime mineral water
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup, cooled
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice (from one medium lime)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from one medium lemon)
- 1 tablespoon grenadine
For the Garnish
- 1/2 orange slice (from one navel orange)
- 1 maraschino cherry without a stem
- 1 green straw, paper or bendable
Making the Simple Syrup
- Pour the water into a small saucepan. Turn the heat to medium high and dump in the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Take off the heat and transfer the simple syrup to a small jam jar and place in the fridge to cool. You can also put in the freezer if you’re in a hurry.
Prepping the Juice & Garnish
- Halve the lemon and lime, then juice them with a citrus reamer or hand juicer.
- Slice the navel orange into thin slices, then cut each wheel in half to make a semicircle. Make a small cut in the center of the slice so it can sit on the rim.
- If necessary, de-stem the maraschino cherries. Make a small cut in the cherry so it will sit nicely on the rim.
Making the Sweet Sunrise
- Pour the orange juice, simple syrup, lemon juice, and lime juice into a 16-ounce hurricane glass. Top it off with the sparkling mineral water, then stir gently.
- Carefully pour in the grenadine to give it the sunrise effect. Don’t stir it afterwards, or the layered look will disappear.
- Garnish the rim of the glass with one orange slice and one maraschino cherry. Add a green straw if desired. Serve immediately.
- Can’t have grenadine? Make your own with pomegranate juice or strawberry simple syrup.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice, for the freshest taste.
- Substitute with a small strawberry, if you can’t have maraschino cherries.
- If you want a hint of a frosty beverage without ice, freeze the glassware.
- Make up a pitcher in advance if you need this for a crowd. The guests can pour in the grenadine to their glass.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Hand Juicing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet sunrise, brunch, non alcoholic