We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Craving roasted sweet potatoes? Why not change things up and throw them in a salad. Trust me, this roasted sweet potato, wild rice, and apple salad isn’t an ordinary salad. It’s special enough for company and Thanksgiving Day.
What ingredients are in roasted sweet potato, wild rice, and apple salad?
- roasted sweet potatoes
- wild rice
- fried apples
- pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- dried cranberries
Is sweet potato, wild rice, and apple salad healthy?
Why of course, it is! It’s got sweet potatoes, which are high in protein and carotenoids. It also features arugula, which is the healthiest kind of lettuce. It also has some high-fat goodies in the pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds), plus it’s high in fiber and vitamin A and C. And it’s only 300 calories! 🙌
How do you make sweet potato, wild rice, and apple salad?
Peel and cube the sweet potatoes, then measure out the oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper.
Toss the cubed sweet potatoes with the oil, maple syrup, and spices, then spread on a foil-lined baking sheet for roasting. Stir every 10 minutes until they are done – roughly 30 minutes.
Cook the wild rice according to the directions on the package. Meanwhile, whisk the two vinegars and the brown sugar to make the vinaigrette.
Toss the cubed apple with lemon juice to prevent browning. Measure out some olive oil.
Fry the apple in olive oil for two minutes. Add the vinaigrette and cook for another two minutes.
Fill a bowl with arugula, wild rice, sweet potato, apple, pepitas, and dried cranberries. Stir.
Pour in the vinaigrette and toss gently.
Make Ahead Tips
- Cook the sweet potato and wild rice, allow to cool, then store them together in airtight container in the fridge.
- Fry the apple in oil, then add the salad dressing and cook for 2 minutes. Store the apple and dressing separately in the fridge.
- Measure out the dried cranberries and toasted pepitas and place in little airtight containers.
- Buy pre-washed arugula in a large plastic container.
- Just before serving, toss the dressing with the other ingredients and place in a pretty bowl.
What’s not to like about this fall inspired salad? It’s got roasted sweet potatoes, wild rice, and fried apples, need I say more? Give it a try. You’ll be hooked.
These other fall salad recipes would be a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving spread.
- Brussels Sprouts Salad: this crunchy salad is a healthy winter dinner idea–especially with the maple balsamic dressing.
- Pecan and Orange Cranberry Relish: a refreshing, make ahead salad that is a a festive addition to a holiday meal.
- Arugula Salad with Andouille Sausage: a colorful blend of roasted veggies, peppery greens, and homemade dressing.
Share your thoughts on this roasted sweet potato, wild rice, and apple salad in the comments below.Print
Roasted sweet potato, wild rice, and apple salad is the perfect fall holiday recipe for parties or Thanksgiving. Stir together dried cranberries, toasted pepitas, fried apples, arugula, and homemade dressing to make an unforgettable vegan salad that you can be proud to serve as a side dish for special lunches or holiday dinners.
For the Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
For the Salad
- 5 ounces baby arugula (142g)
- 1/3 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 1/4 cup MacIntosh apple, finely cubed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sweet Potatoes: Preheat the oven to 450 F and line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Peel and cube the sweet potatoes then toss them with the olive oil, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Bake until soft, about 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes to prevent burning. Remove the sweet potatoes from pan and allow to cool.
- Wild Rice: Cook on the stovetop according to the directions on the package. Make sure you have 100% wild rice and not a blend. Once it’s cooked, set aside to cool.
- Salad Dressing: Whisk together the two vinegars with the brown sugar until well blended.
- Fried Apples: Cut up the apple, and toss it with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Put the olive oil in a small frying pan and let it warm up for a minute. Add the apples, and fry them for two minutes over medium high heat. Pour in the salad dressing and gently coat the apples in the dressing with a large wooden spoon. Cook for two more minutes, then remove the apples from the heat and separate them from the salad dressing.
- Assembling the Salad: Stir together the arugula, sweet potatoes, cooked rice, fried apples, pepitas, and dried cranberries. Pour the salad dressing over top and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
- If you need to make this salad ahead of time, keep each ingredient refrigerated in a separate, covered bowl . Don’t assemble until you’re ready to serve.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy, chopped, fall