Craving a Chick-fil-A superfood salad, but found out it’s discontinued? Learn how to make this simple copycat recipe! It includes the fantastic maple vinaigrette, and boasts healthy ingredients like kale, broccoli, dried cherries, lemon, and roasted nuts. It’s also vegan and gluten free.
For the Salad
- 8 cups kale, rims removed and torn into bite size pieces (340g)
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (3 small heads; 230g)
- 1 cup dried cherries (142g)
- 12 pecan halves (23g)
- 12 whole almonds (17g)
- 12 walnut halves (41g)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (15 ml)
- 3/4 cup maple vinaigrette (180 ml; see below)
For the Maple Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (80 ml)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (120 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. On a small baking tray, spread out the 3/4 cup of assorted nuts. Toast for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and allow to cool.
- While the oven is heating up, put a 2-quart saucepan of water on to boil for the broccoli. Blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes, and drain and plunge into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Make sure to remove all the ribs from the kale and that the pieces are bite size.
- Toss the kale with the lemon juice so it is evenly distribute. The acid in the lemon juice will help break down the toughness and bitterness in the kale.
- Add the blanched broccoli to the kale.
- Add the dried cherries, 3/4 cup of the maple vinaigrette and half of the lemon zest. Mix this together with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, put 2 cups of the kale broccoli mixture on each plate.
- Add the toasted nuts to each plate: 3 of each kind: whole walnuts, almonds and pecans. Then sprinkle on some of the reserved lemon zest.
- Instead of using a skillet, toast the nuts in a 350F oven.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice to massage the kale.
- The broccoli florets will soften and turn deep green when blanched.
- For best flavor and texture, pour the dressing on 30 minutes to 3 hours before serving.
- For the best texture and crunch, add the nuts at the very end.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chick-fil-a, side salad, maple vinaigrette