Easy stuffed pepper soup is a hearty and healthy dinner recipe that is great for families during the cold weather months. This easy comfort food is made with ground beef and green peppers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop, but can easily be adapted for a crockpot. It’s a top rated idea for a freezer meal, and is a fun twist on a old fashioned classic.
- 2 1/4 pounds ground beef (1 kg)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 4 cups green bell pepper, chopped (4 large peppers; 557g)
- 2 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped (2 large onions; 400g)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added (794g)
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce, no salt added (794g)
- 4 cups unsalted beef broth (946 ml)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese rind (40g)
- 3 tablespoons Worchestire sauce (45 ml)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice (or 2 cups cooked rice)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground beef until no longer pink. Stirring to break up the beef. Drain. Place meat in a bowl and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, heat up the oil over medium high heat. Saute the green peppers for 3 minutes while stirring occasionally then add the onion and cook 3 more minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, roughly 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Add the cooked ground beef, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, Parmesan cheese rind and spices to the Dutch oven. Stir until well combined. Cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste the soup as it simmers and adjust spices, if necessary.
- While the soup simmers, cook the rice separately according to the package instructions and put in a bowl.
- If necessary, skim any fat from the surface of the soup with a large soup. Place the fat in a small bowl.
- To serve, add cooked rice to each bowl then ladle the soup over top. Stir to combine. If you choose to add all the cooked rice to the big pot of soup, the rice will absorb some of the liquid, which will result in a thicker soup. If you plan on having leftovers, and you added the all the rice to the soup, you will have to thin the soup with water, beef broth, or tomato sauce before eating it. You will also have to adjust the seasonings, because the soup has been diluted.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Serve with a side salad and a slice of fresh bread.
- This soup keeps for up to 4 days covered in the fridge.
- Freeze in a zip-top freezer bag for up to 2 months. Just leave out the rice and cheese, and add when ready to serve.
- If you added all the rice to your soup, thin it out with extra beef broth, tomato sauce, or water the next day, then adjust seasonings.
Keywords: easy, recipe, ground beef