We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
One of my Mom’s favorite summer desserts is none other than strawberry shortcake. 🍓 I agree that it’s definitely one of the best strawberry desserts in existence! What makes this dessert even better is that it’s actually quite easy to make, and takes only basic ingredients. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to make an amazing, crowd pleasing strawberry shortcake!
Well, what is strawberry shortcake, anyway? It’s made up of three delightful components: a slightly sweet biscuit, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream. Making your own shortcake biscuits is really best, since the homemade ones are so much tastier and healthier than a store-bought angel food cake or dessert shell. Don’t worry; it’s easy to make your own biscuits. 😊
Next, you’ll need to chop the strawberries. The strawberries have an even sweeter taste and better flavor when they’re briefly marinated in sugar and lemon juice, which takes only a little extra time. It’s an especially valuable step when the strawberries aren’t as ripe or as sweet as you’d like.
And homemade whipped cream, you guys? It takes about 5 minutes, three ingredients, and will blow you away. Cool whip ain’t nothin’ like the real stuff.
Are you inspired to try making your own strawberry shortcake from scratch? You totally need to make this awesome dessert this summer.
Craving more summer dessert recipes? These ones will hit the spot.
No Bake Homemade Banana Pudding: a Southern dessert made with velvety vanilla pudding, whipped cream, cookies, and fresh bananas.
No Bake Frozen Grasshopper Pie: this dreamy family favorite takes only 30 minutes to prep, plus freezing time.
Easy Coconut Cream Pie: a creamy classic that the whole family will love.Print
Learn how to make strawberry shortcake from scratch with this easy summer dessert recipe. Homemade biscuits and whipped cream combined with fresh strawberries make this classic dessert the ideal summertime sweet treat for kids or a crowd.
For the Shortcake Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360g)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled (115g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (198g)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- About 1/2 cup whole milk (118 ml)
For the Strawberries
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped (634g)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
For the Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (473 ml)
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Making the Shortcake Biscuits (15 minutes + 20 minutes baking)
- Pour the flour into a medium mixing bowl and cube the unsalted butter. Add the butter and salt to the flour and pinch the cubes of butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, and eggs and stir until the dough begins to come together. Gradually add just enough milk to create a soft, slightly sticky dough. You may not need all the milk.
- Gently fold the dough over on itself a few times on a lightly floured surface to finish bringing the dough together.
- Roll the dough out to about 1 inch thick, then use a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut the dough into about 8 rounds.
- Place the biscuits a couple inches apart on a baking stone or parchment-lined cookie sheet, since they will spread as they bake. Allow the biscuits to rest while the oven is preheating to 400 F.
- Bake the shortcake biscuits at 400 F for 20 minutes, until the tops are a lovely golden brown.
- Allow the biscuits to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Preparing the Strawberries (15 minutes + 30 minutes optional chilling)
- Rinse and hull about 1 1/2 pounds of fresh strawberries, then chop them until you have 4 cups (634g).
- For additional flavor, gently toss the strawberries with the granulated sugar and lemon juice, cover, and chill for about 30 minutes to an hour.
Making the Whipped Cream (5 minutes)
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed until the whipped cream is stiff enough not to fall out of the bowl when it’s turned upside down. Be careful not to overwhip the cream, though.
Assembling the Strawberry Shortcakes (15 minutes)
- Slice each cooled shortcake biscuit in half lengthwise, then place the bottom half of the biscuit on a small plate.
- Spoon almost ½ cup of chopped strawberries on top of the biscuit, then top with almost ½ cup of whipped cream.
- Place the other half of the biscuit over the strawberries and cream, then top the biscuit with a dollop of whipped cream and a few chopped strawberries. Serve immediately.
- The biscuits can easily be made the day before, or frozen for long-term storage.
- Be sure not to let the strawberries marinate too long, or they will get somewhat transparent and become softer.
- It’s best to make the whipped cream right before you use it.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake recipe, summer dessert recipes, desserts with strawberries, strawberry dessert recipes